Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I need Help!
hmm.png

We picked up two (pullets) yesterday, that according to the owner's calendar, were 2 1/2 months old. We were told they were 3 months prior to getting, but none the less, when my husband brought them home I was very confused.
The (much) taller one appears fully feathered, yet still small in my opinion, and the short one is half it's size and not fully feathered. I looked closer & saw she had a lot of bald spots and scattered newbies coming in. (like a teenage boy prior to shaving)
idunno.gif
It looked much different from my other birds at that age.
Anyway, my two pullets look much different in two different ways. The short one appears to be a female, but the taller one has a distinguished comb and wattle.
Can anyone tell me if this size comparison is normal for a hen at 2-3 months and if the taller one looks to be a roo? This is our first time with the maran, so we are unfamiliar with this breed.

Sorry to say but these are not the same age. It pays in the long run to check on the person you buy from. You were clearly lied to on these two chicks. Don

Canam, if the older one is 10 weeks+ old, then it is probably also a pullet, even with the red comb/wattles. The littlest one looks to be 6 7 weeks old. Post more pics as they grow.

Canam, if the older one is 10 weeks+ old, then it is probably also a pullet, even with the red comb/wattles. The littlest one looks to be 6 7 weeks old. Post more pics as they grow.
I'm a novice, but I also thought the comb was too small to be a cockerel at that age. I think it's a pullet. Just one opinion.

IF it is 10 weeks I think it's a pullet. :) IF it's not then it is much younger than I think it's a cockerel. Don would know much better than I.

This so frustrating as she claimed the mother sat on this hatch the whole time. What took me for surprise was she told me they were clean legged, yet both of them have feathers on their feet. She mentioned a much younger batch she had with feathers, if I wanted those, but when I assured that I wanted the older ones so they could be introduced to my flock, she assured me they would be clean legged.
There is no way I can keep these younger ones without building a separate pen for them. The first shot at introducing them, it was a rat race keeping them in line from killing each other. I brought them back inside and they've been in the house with me now ever since. My 8 hens and 1 roo are 12 weeks old today and three times their size.

When will I know for sure if the taller one is a roo or a hen?
Afraid I may have to give these lil guys away.
hit.gif

Canam, that is really frustrating. It sounds like you are new to chickens? The do grow very fast and can tolerate small pens. You could keep the littles in a large dog crate for a few weeks and then they will be big enough and fast enough to survive. Give them a few places to hide and as long as there is enough space they will work out the pecking order. You won't know for sure you have a cockerel until you see saddle feathers/male coloring/sickle feathers or hear crowing. By about 12 weeks it's obvious. Below are two young males, 12 to 14 weeks, coloring up the way they should if they are black coppers. Roosters that are raised together (yours are close enough in age) tolerate each other well, so unless you really want to be rid of another boy it might work out for you.

Oh, and you WANT feathers on their legs...that is what is expected in properly bred BCM in the US.

Last edited:
Magdelaine,
You are very correct, we are new to chickens. The woman we got these from met us at a gas station with them in a box, so I was not able to see the 75 others she has to compare with. The 9 we have now have are 3x their size, so we keep the little ones in the med size dog crate in the house.
Now that I've seen the ones from 12-14 wks, I can pretty much determine.
What distinguishing marks do the females have?
Based on what you told me, I can safely put these little guys out with the others in a couple months without fear my roo will kill them?

Magdelaine,
You are very correct, we are new to chickens. The woman we got these from met us at a gas station with them in a box, so I was not able to see the 75 others she has to compare with. The 9 we have now have are 3x their size, so we keep the little ones in the med size dog crate in the house.
Now that I've seen the ones from 12-14 wks, I can pretty much determine.
What distinguishing marks do the females have?
Based on what you told me, I can safely put these little guys out with the others in a couple months without fear my roo will kill them?
You always have to observe when you add new birds, but from my experience in another 3 to 4 weeks they will be big enough....no need to wait a couple of months. Also, if the rooster you have is the aggressor, it can work to turn the tables when you introduce the little ones. In other words, take him out and keep him in the dog crate for a couple of days while the little ones acclimate to the big run. When you put him back in, he'll be the odd man out.

Also, another thing to consider is that not all roosters are the same. Most are not so aggressive that they chase down the little ones after the initial introduction. If he's so bad he won't leave newbies alone, he might also beat up on your girls as he gets older. Keep an eye on him and feel free to rehome (or eat) him if he doesn't contribute to the peace. I have had some very nice boys that I can trust with the littlest peeps, and there's no need to keep a boy that stresses everyone, including you, out.

Back
Top Bottom