Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Thank you for this both of you. I'm new to chickens. My original intention was not based on breeding, nor on preserving rare breeds. Now that my backyard birds are developing I'm learning so much about standards and genetics and quality breeds. I bought eggs from a couple different craigslist breeders. (I'm trying to keep a relatively closed flock so I'm only hatching eggs here, not buying chicks or adult birds.) The birds that hatched did not all live up to my expectations, especially when a couple were touted by the breeder as from So-And-So Lines implying quality. My BCM experience is there. The hatch rate was fine (5/7), but one was clearly splash, and all of the others have faults. Mossy is different than blue? Either way, I'm keeping an imperfect cockerel to hopefully carry on some dark brown egg genes to some mutt backyard chickens. I'm keeping a nice looking pullet that has quite a bit of white lacing. I will not be breeding BCMs. I'm going to keep following this thread as it has taught me a lot already. Again, thank you for the encouragement and for sharing information about your personal breeding experience. My faulty BCMs (not including the splash). They are only 6 weeks old, but as this thread has said- some faults, like mossiness/blue and carnation combs/side sprigs are easy to see this early:
Judging from the pictures of your chicks vs mine, breeders culls are still better than a breeder that doesn't cull...

I have 5 upcoming cockerels that look pretty good. One is very dark. (I have already culled 3 that were overcolored).... anyway, the most mature of the remaining has whitish ears lobes..... It looks almost like they are chapped. Or rough.... but white nonetheless. How serious a flaw is this or should I just be looking forward to more chicken and dumplings? I am thinking it is a showstopper. His father has regular red ears as do the other cockerels.... How serious a flaw is that.

I love posting pics of birds to get praise, but I want to be honest here and post pics of my birds that started faulty and are breeding faulty, just in case anyone new to this thread thinks the experienced breeders are being harsh when they critique birds.
Several members of this thread critiqued my original birds, and told me it would be best to start over. My wife would have killed me if I bought more birds this year, so I kept them and bred them to see what would happen. My rooster has a severe comb fault, and the chicks that hatched were very dark. Don told me those chicks would be mossy. Most of them are beyond mossy, showing way too much color at 7-8 weeks, and all 4 cockerels are carrying the exact same comb fault. I am still going to grow the pullets out to check egg color, but I will have to start over with a new flock next year if I want to raise quality BCM. Anyone new to this... please do your research, order your birds from a reputable breeder, and pay more for quality birds up front. I have lost a year and a couple hundred dollars starting with poor stock.

Mine have grown up and here is my Roo. I know very little about the breed so I would be interested in your comments. The picture doesn't show it but he is just MASSIVE. Or bigger than the other Roos I've had like Cream Legbars. He is so big he's intimidating.

That is a great looking BCM in my opinion. I would love to know how much he weighs.

Mine have grown up and here is my Roo. I know very little about the breed so I would be interested in your comments. The picture doesn't show it but he is just MASSIVE. Or bigger than the other Roos I've had like Cream Legbars. He is so big he's intimidating.

From this photo he is very nice. Best for evaluation are a top view showing the whole bird straight down from the top for width, both sides straight on at bird level, front and back views. He has a lot of tail for a Marans!

Having hatched some black french marans recently, from a number if different breeder, i would say they are one of the hardest breeds that i have bred to find the correct standard. A beautiful but difficult breed to get right especially when you add in egg color and shank feathering.

Having hatched some black french marans recently, from a number if different breeder, i would say they are one of the hardest breeds that i have bred to find the correct standard. A beautiful but difficult breed to get right especially when you add in egg color and shank feathering.
If I had it to do over, I would have been better off to spend $300-400 on started birds. I bought my chicks right before I joined BYC. I couldn't wait to post pics on this thread. The first critiques I recieved were hard to hear, but I asked for honest opinions, and everything that everyone told me about my birds came true. It's a very difficult breed to work with, but it will be so rewarding when I finally get to hear snowbird say "Don't eat that one"
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom