Black Copper Marans discussion thread

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!
thumbsup.gif

Maximus, the 1st... is 4 months old today, Dec 24, 2015. Im looking for input thus far on his quality... his hackle feathers are just starting to come in long, and hes getting more and more copper...

Judge him, teach me please what to look for, whats not good on him what is...

I am not an expert and I do not judge. but he is gorgeous to me!

I see a lot of people post on here about getting BCM from online or ordering eggs. Me personally, I have never purchased hens online and this is mostly from reading about the results others have experienced with this approach. I am wondering if there is an available list of people breeding this bird true to standard who people could contact? This way the thread wouldn't be full of people asking the same repeated question with a different geographic area in mind. Call it a directory if you'd like. We could even use a shared excel document to list contact information as well as to indicate when someone is no longer working with this breed. Some could indicate their location but that they also ship to other locations while others may choose to list themselves for a local area only. This is just an idea because many people are interested in this breed but there isn't much organization as far as who to seek out if you want a good bird and to deal with someone who knows a lot about them. Then there are others selling eggs that aren't dark enough to be BCM. I think for the breeders this directory or whatever you wanna call it, would only help them find homes for birds and increase revenue. It would allow the market to give the breeders who are putting out the best stock more customers. Those of us with less knowledge on what makes the standard vs. what is undesirable, we could rely on experienced people to guide us to reputable sources. Otherwise it's just shouting out a name or contact info without any real information on the substance of that or reason for referral. In general it seems it would help if there were more communication for non-pure bred breeders who still wish to have this bird for eggs or whatever other use. I say this after doing an intermediate to mid range level of research on this breed and wishing that this thread/ information from this site on BCM community was more organized.

I had some eggs shipped to me the other day. Wish me luck! I have 14 in there. Today is their day 3 but it's the first day in the turner. I couldn't see the air cells well but they weren't packaged very well so they're probably all out of whack. Hopefully I can get a few to hatch :)

Hi ChickNHeel .To choose one of this 4 roosters we need to know the type of the hens you working with and see if they are compatible to witch Rooster.that a First thing .
the second thing is ;How are you working with you line, Are you going to hatch chicks and rise them than breed them back to there Sire and dun Or you breed them together as sibling forward crossing helf brothers and sisters?
To fix any fault you have to isolate the line you working with no new birds are added to t in the future.So you will know what are fixing without adding fault from new birds.

Example1; you have nice hens with a nice Comb and well feathered shank + Rooster 1 he is exellent type and nice coppery tone =
F1 chicks . choose a 1 or 2 boys from this F1 make sure No side sprig and mate them to they mams and Ants =F2 you will be impressed with a quality of your cockerels in this generation ,FOR this thing to work make sure you are choosing hens with nice Comb no Sprigs.

Example 2; you have nice type hens ( low rider type shanky and stocky ) ,nice hackels but Ok Comb + Rooster 4 Best Comb =
F1 chicks; Choose 1 or 2 cockerels from this F1 make sure they are nice type ( they ll inherit the type from mums ) and mate them to they mums and Ants = F2 .

I see Rooster Num 1 Complete Rooster Nub 4 . All come to the type of hens you got there my friend

you can mate your hen to Rooster Nub 1 hatch some chicks and swap to Rooster Nub 4 and hatch more chicks.like this you end up with chicks from both Rooster and you will see a difference between them . by doing t this way you know what are you working on ( correcting the Side Sprig and maintaining The type and The nice balanced color .

I m on my 2end generation this year with a BCM and I tell you I started with a Black hens and over colored hens . side sprig ,white feathers all sort off problem .I matched each pair with care I made sure they are compatible ( they don t have a same Fault) Because they all had Fault. hatched a lot of chicks over 400 chicks As my F1 .
I selected the best ones ,they still have Fault but less than they parents and pair them to much each other .and I got my F2 this year .I m very happy with what I see now. Still a long way to go.

Hope I was Help full .

chooks man

Hi Sniper 338;
here what to look for in your cockerel ;
Good stuff ;
- nice type need a little depth on the chest.
-Back nice and long wide all the way through when loked from the top.
- Tail nice angle not fully formed .
-Shanks a little taller nicely feathered. nice dark color front .lighter at the back.
- Head nice and large
-Eyes still young but promising .
- Comb can t tell
- weatles medium well round nice ones.
- Beak nice and strange well horn color

Bad Stuffs;
- Need depth to his chest.
- Black hear tuffs
- White feather in his shank and his tail.

Color he need to do more growing.
Good for type
Bad for the color

take more picture of his comb and his rear to see the width. cheers

hope that help

Back
Top Bottom