Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Hi Sniper 338;
here what to look for in your cockerel ;
Good stuff ;
- nice type need a little depth on the chest.
-Back nice and long wide all the way through when loked from the top.
- Tail nice angle not fully formed .
-Shanks a little taller nicely feathered. nice dark color front .lighter at the back.
- Head nice and large
-Eyes still young but promising .
- Comb can t tell
- weatles medium well round nice ones.
- Beak nice and strange well horn color

Bad Stuffs;
- Need depth to his chest.
- Black hear tuffs
- White feather in his shank and his tail.

Color he need to do more growing.
Good for type
Bad for the color

take more picture of his comb and his rear to see the width. cheers

hope that help

sorry for my ignorance but when you say a little depth on the chest what does that mean? do you have a pic of a good roo so I can try to figure it out?

the 6th egg my beauty layed is colour no 6
wee.gif

I see a lot of people post on here about getting BCM from online or ordering eggs. Me personally, I have never purchased hens online and this is mostly from reading about the results others have experienced with this approach. I am wondering if there is an available list of people breeding this bird true to standard who people could contact? This way the thread wouldn't be full of people asking the same repeated question with a different geographic area in mind. Call it a directory if you'd like. We could even use a shared excel document to list contact information as well as to indicate when someone is no longer working with this breed. Some could indicate their location but that they also ship to other locations while others may choose to list themselves for a local area only. This is just an idea because many people are interested in this breed but there isn't much organization as far as who to seek out if you want a good bird and to deal with someone who knows a lot about them. Then there are others selling eggs that aren't dark enough to be BCM. I think for the breeders this directory or whatever you wanna call it, would only help them find homes for birds and increase revenue. It would allow the market to give the breeders who are putting out the best stock more customers. Those of us with less knowledge on what makes the standard vs. what is undesirable, we could rely on experienced people to guide us to reputable sources. Otherwise it's just shouting out a name or contact info without any real information on the substance of that or reason for referral. In general it seems it would help if there were more communication for non-pure bred breeders who still wish to have this bird for eggs or whatever other use. I say this after doing an intermediate to mid range level of research on this breed and wishing that this thread/ information from this site on BCM community was more organized.

I believe the MCCUSA (Marans Chicken Club USA) has a breeders directory. They have a Facebook page and a separate Forum with a list of breeders who show and breed to standard.

Go over to the Marans of America Club. http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/ ( click on "more" for good articles on the breed). they stress an educational approach to the breed. Other clubs do too, but it is a special aspect of MOAC. Also, join the French Marans Club. http://www.marans.eu/accueila.htm . They send out a stunning high gloss newsletter in April, August and December each year. And they have a great online forum where they discuss all the different varieties. T great stuff. esp. now that the Google Translate will instantly translate blocks and pages for you into English. makes it easy to communicate with the French-speaking members.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi Chickengr.
here a marans roosters

with a good chest .with a side view you can see it better.Not a flat chest or concave . well expressed.
we are looking for a chest that is wide good for a healthy organs and deep so can carry a lot of breast meat.

Hope that helps .Cheers

Hi,
check out this page. It is from the French Marans Club. Scroll down to see the ideal silhouette of the birds.
http://www.marans.eu/silhangl.htm#silhouet
Best,
Karen

Hi Chickengr.
here a marans roosters

with a good chest .with a side view you can see it better.Not a flat chest or concave . well expressed.
we are looking for a chest that is wide good for a healthy organs and deep so can carry a lot of breast meat.

Hope that helps .Cheers

THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom