Black Copper Marans discussion thread

One of my chicks

I got a batch of BCM eggs (solid 6s, some 7s) from a local breeder and they're currently hatching in my incubator. Quick question for the experts--can Marans be feather sexed as day-old-chicks?

I found someone to take my culls! Now I don't have to raise them out myself. Not that I mind, I just have a bunch of babies to grow out and will be running out of room before long (just hatched about 30 CCL babies). I know that they plan to raise them up and eat them so they will not be contributing to any gene pools
smile.png
Hola mi amiga! Fancy meeting you here!

Well hang onto the ones you think would be good entries - just pop them in the fridge, and they should last a good 2-3 weeks. Several things are taken into consideration, first and foremost the egg color, of course. Then, uniformity of color among the set of 3 eggs - all 3 eggs should look as similar as possible. We like eggs that are solid color from tip to tip; often times, you get eggs that are super dark on one end, but lighten up toward the other. Those would not make good egg show entries. Bigger is better and a larger, evenly colored egg may get placed above a darker pullet egg, because we know that pullets lay darker anyway. Sheen is important as well. A fresh egg has the best sheen. It's against the rules to "treat" them in any way, so don't rub them with oil or butter or anything like that. And rounded eggs are the preferred shape, although I do not believe shape is judged. I'll have to check on that!

So guess what???? We took FIRST PLACE!
wee.gif

out of 1White Marans egg entry.... lol! I guess not too many people are showing the Whites, when we showed our White Marans at the Northeastern Poultry Congress this January, they were the only ones there.
my hen isn't laying the darkest of eggs yet :/ but my roo is being aggressive how do I stop it?!?!?!?! thanks in advance!!!!!
Hi Kanyon! And Welcome to BYC
big_smile.png
I know some people catch up the aggressive roo and carry them around under their arm to 'shame' them or show dominance. I've found that the only way to end the aggression is to cook it out of them.

Intial thoughts on this pair. Not the best pictures, but I will try and get more.

They are mainly just for the pretty eggs, though I thought of hatching out some olive egger with the roo.
Thanks for any feedback.

[COLOR=0000FF]Hola mi amiga! Fancy meeting you here![/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]So guess what????  We took FIRST PLACE!  [/COLOR]:weee

[COLOR=0000FF]out of 1White Marans egg entry....  lol!  I guess not too many people are showing the Whites,  when we showed our White Marans at the Northeastern Poultry Congress this January, they were the only ones there.  [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]Hi Kanyon!  And Welcome to BYC [/COLOR]:D   [COLOR=0000FF]​I know some people catch up the aggressive roo and carry them around under their arm to 'shame' them or show dominance.  I've found that the only way to end the aggression is to cook it out of them.  [/COLOR]

Hola! Que pasa! Any clue how those turkey eggs are looking? I know, wrong thread for turkey talk lol.

Congrats on the win!

Last edited:
CONGRATS, Blarney! You never know how yours compare unless you get them out there & show them. I'm surprised there weren't more White entries; I know several folks breeding them, but could be the off season for them (they are in Texas). Regardless, glad to hear you're getting your eggs - and birds - out there! Kudos.

You are so right Wynette i was at a egg show early this month and won first place in black copper. The judge told me that shine is better then dull and the three must be the same you could have two great eggs and one not so good bad for them all.

You are so right Wynette i was at a egg show early this month and won first place in black copper. The judge told me that shine is better then dull and the three must be the same you could have two great eggs and one not so good bad for them all.

That's very true. This is why it is best to try to collect eggs from on hen, since they are typically very close to the same color, shape, and sheen. Congrats on your win!!

Back
Top Bottom