Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Both cockerels .

you have a nice Cream Legbar pullets there.

chooks man

Thank you for your reply. I thought they were cockerels, but wanted to make sure. And yes, that was one of my 3 CLB pullets photobombing.

I have one too that is older and his chest feathers are coming in more of a straw color. I'm not sure if I need to continue growing out all three to pic one. What age can I start judging whether to keep or not?

I start selecting as hatching,.there is many things to look for and they change with time as they grow up.

5/6 month is a good time to do a final selection.but the gorgeous one s they appear early.

take nice photos of each from different angle and we help you out to select.

here the area you need to photograph .
Head. Eyes, Comb, boby shot front , back, rear. .Tail . Shanks.

good luck.

chooks man

Well decision is made: our 12 wk old BCM is definitely a roo. I thought it was a bad thing but we decided he's great in our flock, already protecting the girls and warning them when people are coming.
Anything ya'll can tell us about having a roo in the midst of 19 girls? This is our only BCM
(Today we had a catastrophe-waterer somehow tipped & 2 in of water mixed with the mess; girls are getting baths today-- so I'll show pics again when things get cleaned up later)
My BCM roo 'Stretch' is absolutely hands down the best roo I have owned. (out of 6) He is wonderful with his 10 girls and whenever I am out with treats he is last in and busy telling the ladies where to find the food. He will even pick up some and drop it in front of a hen and say "There you go, enjoy!" Love this bird. There is never any nastiness out of him and he is gorgeous to boot. I have just had one of my BCM broodies hatch out an olive egger from him and my araucana. Hopefully a pullet but we'll see. Enjoy your roo!

I have 2 Marans pullets that are 3 to 4 months old. They are completely black. Could this be black copper Marans? I think one has a green sheen. New to the breed.

My BCM roo 'Stretch' is absolutely hands down the best roo I have owned. (out of 6) He is wonderful with his 10 girls and whenever I am out with treats he is last in and busy telling the ladies where to find the food.  He will even pick up some and drop it in front of a hen and say "There you go, enjoy!"  Love this bird.  There is never any nastiness out of him and he is gorgeous to boot.  I have just had one of my BCM broodies hatch out an olive egger from him and my araucana.  Hopefully a pullet but we'll see.  Enjoy your roo!
thank you so much:) hes already showing how great he is so im thrilled of this decision. Is that possible to do-marans and another breed of chicken? I'd love to see what pops up from this lol.

thank you so much:) hes already showing how great he is so im thrilled of this decision. Is that possible to do-marans and another breed of chicken? I'd love to see what pops up from this lol.
OK so being absolutely new to this, as in hatched a olive egger 4 days ago
celebrate.gif
This is a cross with my BCM rooster and my araucana. I am hoping that this pullet (fingers crossed) will lay an olive green egg. At least that is the wisdom that is floating around on the forums. Look up the olive egger thread. Lots of info. As I understand it, a dark egg with a blue egg makes a green egg layer. A dark egg with a white egg makes a brown egg layer, and so on. I find the dark brown/blue egg combo the most interesting so far.

Back
Top Bottom