Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Wow, all males thats crazy. I'm not sure what would cause that in chickens. But like you said tempature control in reptiles will effect gender. And the diet fed to a peahen will effect the sex of the chicks. So I'm sure the same applies to chickens. I just don't know what exactly causes it in chickens.

Chickens gender is predetermined so it can't be changed much like people's gender. The mother hen is the one to actually carry the gender gene. :)

If this 4 week old French Wheaten Maran a Roo or Hen?

Definitely roo

Everyone here that was talking about incubators, I honestly prefer the GQF bators. I have 3 of them at the moment, 2 styrofoam (one forced air, one still air), and a 1202 cabinet. I absolutely love them and always have great hatches. I had a chance to borrow a brinsea, I think it was the 20, and I really didn't like it. That's just my opinion thrown in.

FWIW I was talking with a cream leg horn breeder at a poultry swap last month. She had 9 out of 10 hatched being male. She told me this was a common problem for that breed ???!! I'd never heard of it before.
also speaking of the 1202 sportsman incubator can I ask a dumb question. I just got 2 ancient ones from an estate sale and will be hopefully getting them working. My dumb question is: for hatching, when you need the moisture high for 3 days, how do you stop that affecting the moisture level for the rest of the eggs in the cabinet which should be at a lower humidity level?
Thanks for any replies!

FWIW I was talking with a cream leg horn breeder at a poultry swap last month. She had 9 out of 10 hatched being male. She told me this was a common problem for that breed ???!! I'd never heard of it before.
also speaking of the 1202 sportsman incubator can I ask a dumb question. I just got 2 ancient ones from an estate sale and will be hopefully getting them working. My dumb question is: for hatching, when you need the moisture high for 3 days, how do you stop that affecting the moisture level for the rest of the eggs in the cabinet which should be at a lower humidity level?
Thanks for any replies!

I usualy hatch eggs in one of my other incubators but I have hatched in the 1202. The increased humidity won't hurt anything for the couple days that it's up.

I usualy hatch eggs in one of my other incubators but I have hatched in the 1202. The increased humidity won't hurt anything for the couple days that it's up.

thank you! I also hatch in another but was thinking. If 3 days a week out of 7, you are increasing the moisture significantly for ongoing incubation where you are continually adding more eggs once a week, it must do something to the hatch rate?

thank you! I also hatch in another but was thinking. If 3 days a week out of 7, you are increasing the moisture significantly for ongoing incubation where you are continually adding more eggs once a week, it must do something to the hatch rate?

Honestly, I think most of the extra humidity would stay near the bottom if the extra water is kept near the bottom. I don't know how you're supposed to raise the humidity in it done I just do it my own way but I just add extra pans of water under the hatching tray. I also keep the humidity during incubating at around 25% so when is raised up to 65% for hatching, it would balance out. That's just my thoughts. No clue if they're correct or not lol. I just know that it worked out that way for me :) I guess I'll be finding out next season for sure. I have a few more breeds now and I have a feeling I'll be hatching in the 1202 a lot more lol

Last edited:
Honestly, I think most of the extra humidity would stay near the bottom if the extra water is kept near the bottom. I don't know how you're supposed to raise the humidity in it done I just do it my own way but I just add extra pans of water under the hatching tray. I also keep the humidity during incubating at around 25% so when is raised up to 65% for hatching, it would balance out. That's just my thoughts. No clue if they're correct or not lol. I just know that it worked out that way for me :) I guess I'll be finding out next season for sure. I have a few more breeds now and I have a feeling I'll be hatching in the 1202 a lot more lol
I guess I'll find out too
1f609.png
. I always dry hatch now as the bcms have an abysmal hatch rate if I put any moisture in until lock down day.really looking forward to using these 1202s. If I can get them both working I can just use one as a hatcher I guess but I'll probably end up selling one to pay for fixing up both.

I guess I'll find out too
1f609.png
. I always dry hatch now as the bcms have an abysmal hatch rate if I put any moisture in until lock down day.really looking forward to using these 1202s. If I can get them both working I can just use one as a hatcher I guess but I'll probably end up selling one to pay for fixing up both.

or you could just combine the parts from both to make one good one lol. I had to buy some new parts to fix mine up. Still not perfect but it works wonderful! Www.cutlersupply.com has a ton of parts for them :)

Back
Top Bottom