Black Copper Marans discussion thread

or you could just combine the parts from both to make one good one lol. I had to buy some new parts to fix mine up. Still not perfect but it works wonderful! Www.cutlersupply.com has a ton of parts for them :)
thanks I'll check them out
1f44d.png
1f603.png

Thanks I'll check them out. I am pretty useless with electronics so may get a friend to put it in for me.
Does anyone know if the 1202 is the same size as the 1502? Because I'd like to order acrylic doors for them and all the site says is that they don't fit 'older' models. I don't have them here with me right now as a friend is checking them for me.

I guess I'll find out too
1f609.png
. I always dry hatch now as the bcms have an abysmal hatch rate if I put any moisture in until lock down day.really looking forward to using these 1202s. If I can get them both working I can just use one as a hatcher I guess but I'll probably end up selling one to pay for fixing up both.

Honestly, I think most of the extra humidity would stay near the bottom if the extra water is kept near the bottom. I don't know how you're supposed to raise the humidity in it done I just do it my own way but I just add extra pans of water under the hatching tray. I also keep the humidity during incubating at around 25% so when is raised up to 65% for hatching, it would balance out. That's just my thoughts. No clue if they're correct or not lol. I just know that it worked out that way for me
smile.png
I guess I'll be finding out next season for sure. I have a few more breeds now and I have a feeling I'll be hatching in the 1202 a lot more lol

I used a dry method the first go around because Mississippi has a normal air humidity around the 70 %.Our indoor humidity was around 62 % in the winter with a fireplace running, my incubator was
holding 30% humidity without any water added
th.gif

I added a wet hand towel in the bottom of mine during lockdown, last time I added wet paper towels instead, easier cleanup that way.

My last hatch was in the spring and didn't include any dark layer eggs so I kept humidity a bit higher.

I'd love some critiques on this guy! I'm still rather new to chickens and completely new to the breed. I originally hatched some BCMs to breed OEs, but I'm fascinated by the standards for this breed. I'm thinking it might be fun to get some good birds and do a little tinkering, lol. Is my Pinky Pie (don't ask!) destined only for the OE pen?

He's 17 weeks, and his eyes are finally starting to lighten up. His ear tufts seem to be turning less black, but it could be my imagination. Do they get more coppery as they reach maturity, or is he stuck with wrong-colored ear tufts?

Will Pinky's comb develop any more? If not, how bad is it? (I know it's not ideal.)

He's sort of squatting in this one (taken at 16wks), but it's the best side view I've been able to get so far of the busy boy.

Any and all feedback would be highly appreciated! Thanks!!

I'd love some critiques on this guy! I'm still rather new to chickens and completely new to the breed. I originally hatched some BCMs to breed OEs, but I'm fascinated by the standards for this breed. I'm thinking it might be fun to get some good birds and do a little tinkering, lol. Is my Pinky Pie (don't ask!) destined only for the OE pen?

He's 17 weeks, and his eyes are finally starting to lighten up. His ear tufts seem to be turning less black, but it could be my imagination. Do they get more coppery as they reach maturity, or is he stuck with wrong-colored ear tufts?

Will Pinky's comb develop any more? If not, how bad is it? (I know it's not ideal.)

He's sort of squatting in this one (taken at 16wks), but it's the best side view I've been able to get so far of the busy boy.

Any and all feedback would be highly appreciated! Thanks!!

In the first picture he seems very well balanced. He need a little more Coppers feathers in the Saddle and shoulder., Leg and feet feathering look real good. I believe the ear tufts will be ok. The eyes will most likely lighten up more. I also notice he might have a split blade on his comb and that would be a DQ.

Last edited:
In the first picture he seems very well balanced. He need a little more Coppers feathers in the Saddle and shoulder., Leg and feet feathering look real good. I believe the ear tufts will be ok. The eyes will most likely lighten up more. I also notice he might have a split blade on his comb and that would be a DQ.
Aw, bummer on the split blade thing. Well, he's still my boy, lol. Thanks so much for your critique!

I'd love some critiques on this guy! I'm still rather new to chickens and completely new to the breed. I originally hatched some BCMs to breed OEs, but I'm fascinated by the standards for this breed. I'm thinking it might be fun to get some good birds and do a little tinkering, lol. Is my Pinky Pie (don't ask!) destined only for the OE pen? He's 17 weeks, and his eyes are finally starting to lighten up. His ear tufts seem to be turning less black, but it could be my imagination. Do they get more coppery as they reach maturity, or is he stuck with wrong-colored ear tufts? Will Pinky's comb develop any more? If not, how bad is it? (I know it's not ideal.) He's sort of squatting in this one (taken at 16wks), but it's the best side view I've been able to get so far of the busy boy. Any and all feedback would be highly appreciated! Thanks!!
Have you posted him on the international thread? We need more bird pics! Lol

Don, Can you give a little more info on the split blade. I am not sure what you see there. I have one BC that I like real well and am wondering if he has a split blade. He has a wider gap between one blade. I am not doing well after my surgery but if I feel up to it I will try and get a picture tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom