Black Copper Marans discussion thread

His former owner may have had show birds at one point, but it's clear to me now that my boy's not. Oh well, at least I know. I wasn't planning or showing or breeding him anyway. He's just a pet now. Thank you to everyone who responded!

I haven't weighed him yet, but I have held him, and I can tell you he's chunky. He's supposed to be no more than 2 years old. Not sure though...

This is the only picture I have on him on the ground right now. I'm away at college, and I haven't been able to make it home recently.
Hmm, the height of his comb isn't what I find odd actually (nor the length of his waddles haha). It is the fact that it appears almost full with fluid. He looks healthy in the photo and seems to have a good home with you. I would just say it is a deformity within the tissue or something of the sort.

What are you pursuing in college?

Hmm, the height of his comb isn't what I find odd actually (nor the length of his waddles haha). It is the fact that it appears almost full with fluid. He looks healthy in the photo and seems to have a good home with you. I would just say it is a deformity within the tissue or something of the sort.

Do you think this is something I should get checked out? When I was home last and messing with him, he doesn't seem to be in any pain and they don't seem to bother him.

I'm studying Sustainable Agriculture Systems, which focuses a lot on organic food production and how to transition to more sustainable practices within the field.

Do you think this is something I should get checked out? When I was home last and messing with him, he doesn't seem to be in any pain and they don't seem to bother him.

I'm studying Sustainable Agriculture Systems, which focuses a lot on organic food production and how to transition to more sustainable practices within the field.

Like I said, I believe he was born with whatever causes this. Just have their caretaker keep an eye on him.
If it never changes then you can bet that he is perfectly healthy.

Your classes must be pretty interesting, sounds like a good career path as well.

Gambled on three 2+ year old hens for $20. As they were with a Marans rooster, I figured it was a good gamble. All they have to do is lay a few eggs each and I will get my moneys worth. On of the hens is way smaller than the others, though. She is almost thhe size of my pullet even though she is older and moulting. I am thinking she will not be a good breeder because of her size. Looks like one of the three is laying though. Found a present today.

Last edited:

Yeah I also wondered if that was fluid or just an illusion once the comb size reaches that type of grand size.
Anyways it kind of reminds me how humans with Fragile X syndrome have enlarged testicles (macroorchidism). I did a search and found a research article "The fragile X mental retardation protein (FMRP) is an mRNA binding protein that regulates activity-dependent protein synthesis and morphological dynamics of dendrites. Loss and abnormal expression of FMRP occur in fragile X syndrome (FXS) .....Protein BLAST analyses first demonstrate that the FMRP amino acid sequences in the alligator and chicken are highly similar to human FMRP with identical mRNA-binding and phosphorylation sites, suggesting that FMRP functions similarly across vertebrates."

WHO KNOWS!! NATURE IS SO COOL!!

Opinions on these 3? I am thinking the smallest should not be a breeder for starting my Marans flock. They're all 2 years or more old, but still lay a little.

Opinions on these 3? I am thinking the smallest should not be a breeder for starting my Marans flock. They're all 2 years or more old, but still lay a little.

The first girl is molting and appears to be standing as if she is egg bound. Give her a few (2) crushed up tums tablets for a quick calcium boost. If she is laying then I would just say she has a very poor "balance".

The others I can't see too well.

Back
Top Bottom