Black Copper Marans discussion thread

100_3453.JPG
100_3447.JPG
100_3448.JPG
100_3452.JPG
100_3447.JPG
Great day at the farm. Large egg weighs 97 grams

I have recently purchased some FBCM and am interested in how many eggs you're getting per week for each hen. I have three other 1 year old Marans, Splash, Blue Copper, and Cookoo and am getting around 3 per hen each week.
I have 5 hens that lay an egg every day, not as dark. I have 3 hens that lay an egg every other day, much darker. I have 3 hens that lay every other day not that dark. I have one hen that lays one, whenever. These birds will not be 1 year old until OCT. Eggs average 60 grams. These are BCM TOM

I have 5 hens that lay an egg every day, not as dark. I have 3 hens that lay an egg every other day, much darker. I have 3 hens that lay every other day not that dark. I have one hen that lays one, whenever. These birds will not be 1 year old until OCT. Eggs average 60 grams. These are BCM TOM
Sounds very similar to what I am getting from my other Marans! Thanks for the information.

Does this look like a Black Cooper Maran? It's supposed to be, but she doesn't have any cooper on her head or neck. Belle will be 12 weeks in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_4293.PNG
    IMG_4293.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4293.PNG
    IMG_4293.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Does this look like a Black Cooper Maran? It's supposed to be, but she doesn't have any cooper on her head or neck. Belle will be 12 weeks in a couple weeks.

Flaisure,

Yes, she looks like a BCM. It's not uncommon for a BCM hen / pullet to be all black. If your Belle was going to have copper hackles she would have shown some color by now. She can still be useful as a breeder if you pair her with a BCM Cock that has nice copper ear tufts and a little copper color on his breast. This paring should yield pullets with the desired copper hackles.

Take Care,
Keith

Flaisure,

Yes, she looks like a BCM. It's not uncommon for a BCM hen / pullet to be all black. If your Belle was going to have copper hackles she would have shown some color by now. She can still be useful as a breeder if you pair her with a BCM Cock that has nice copper ear tufts and a little copper color on his breast. This paring should yield pullets with the desired copper hackles.

Take Care,
Keith

Thank you so much!!

Can any of you who have BCM Roo's give me details on their temperament? I have three that I received from Chicken Scratch Poultry and am praying that they blend in with my flock without issue. I have 18 hens (mixed flock) that are a year old with 3 hens that are 2 years old. One of the BCM Cockerels is already a bit offish and will peck my hand while I am trying to pet him, the others just try and avoid me for the most part and aren't as friendly as my previous group. My last purchase was 20 straight run with so far a known combo that includes 4 cockerels, 3 BCM and 1 OE, they are now 9 weeks. I am hoping they are mostly good guardians without me being afraid to collect eggs and sit with my other hens.

Back
Top Bottom