Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Can any of you who have BCM Roo's give me details on their temperament? I have three that I received from Chicken Scratch Poultry and am praying that they blend in with my flock without issue. I have 18 hens (mixed flock) that are a year old with 3 hens that are 2 years old. One of the BCM Cockerels is already a bit offish and will peck my hand while I am trying to pet him, the others just try and avoid me for the most part and aren't as friendly as my previous group. My last purchase was 20 straight run with so far a known combo that includes 4 cockerels, 3 BCM and 1 OE, they are now 9 weeks. I am hoping they are mostly good guardians without me being afraid to collect eggs and sit with my other hens.

In my experience with BCMs I have had both aggressive and respectful roosters. If a Rooster is too agreessive with humans or hens they go in the dumpling pot. I believe the chooks temperament is equal parts genetic and behavioral.

I spend as much time as I can with all the chicks for the first 2 months to habituate them to me and my daily activities in their pen. When the cockerels are about 2 months old I introduce 2 or 3 older hens to the grow out pen to teach them good manners. The older hens will put young cockerels in their place real quick and the cockerels see the hens interacting with me. When the cockerels turn 3 months old their hormones start kicking in so at this point I began to largely ignore them when I enter their pen. By 6 months the Rooster is mature and his mindset is as protector of the flock.

So, it is up to us as flock owners to not be perceived as a threat to the flock. I do not make any attempt to pet, hand feed or catch the Rooster. When I enter the pen I respect the Roosters space and he better respect mine while I tend to my chores. By space I mean that I never walk directly at the Rooster, I always approach from the side so that he can move unimpeded out of my way. When rotating chickens between pens I do so at night so the Rooster doesn't perceive me as a threat to him or the hens. I haven't had any temperament issues with my BCM Roosters in the past several years. This method seems to work for me but it's not foolproof - no matter how well you raise your chooks there is bound to be a knucklehead or two show up once in a while. When that happens - you have supper.

Keith

In my experience with BCMs I have had both aggressive and respectful roosters. If a Rooster is too agreessive with humans or hens they go in the dumpling pot. I believe the chooks temperament is equal parts genetic and behavioral.

I spend as much time as I can with all the chicks for the first 2 months to habituate them to me and my daily activities in their pen. When the cockerels are about 2 months old I introduce 2 or 3 older hens to the grow out pen to teach them good manners. The older hens will put young cockerels in their place real quick and the cockerels see the hens interacting with me. When the cockerels turn 3 months old their hormones start kicking in so at this point I began to largely ignore them when I enter their pen. By 6 months the Rooster is mature and his mindset is as protector of the flock.

So, it is up to us as flock owners to not be perceived as a threat to the flock. I do not make any attempt to pet, hand feed or catch the Rooster. When I enter the pen I respect the Roosters space and he better respect mine while I tend to my chores. By space I mean that I never walk directly at the Rooster, I always approach from the side so that he can move unimpeded out of my way. When rotating chickens between pens I do so at night so the Rooster doesn't perceive me as a threat to him or the hens. I haven't had any temperament issues with my BCM Roosters in the past several years. This method seems to work for me but it's not foolproof - no matter how well you raise your chooks there is bound to be a knucklehead or two show up once in a while. When that happens - you have supper.

Keith
Many thanks for the information Keith! I think I have the perfect hens in my flock in mind to take care of them. They are currently 9 weeks and I am in their pen constantly trying to get them used to me. I only have one that is a pain already. The others are offish but they don't peck at me when I am picking the others up to get them used to me as much as possible. Hopefully he will get in line and if not he will be in the dumpling pot for sure.

I also have a young FBCM....who of course turned out to be a cockerel. I know he is Greenfire Farms/Cottage Hill. I got him from a local farm and trust she's telling me the truth. Anyway, he's very sweet, but very bonded to his friend...who also turned out to be a cockerel. I can't have a loud rooster. So far his friend is trying to crow...they are almost six weeks; he isn't. I'm really hoping I can keep them because these are my favorites. I would like a FBCM hen or two as well. He has some copper in his hackles the past couple of weeks, and beautiful iridescent blue and green tones. This picture is from last week, his chest is largely black now. First, when will his white face go away? And, how loud are we talking with crowing? I'm new to chickens, but having a lot of fun with this! THANK YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_6112.jpg
    IMG_6112.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20170531173736.JPG
    20170531173736.JPG
    635.5 KB · Views: 29
I also have a young FBCM....who of course turned out to be a cockerel. I know he is Greenfire Farms/Cottage Hill. I got him from a local farm and trust she's telling me the truth. Anyway, he's very sweet, but very bonded to his friend...who also turned out to be a cockerel. I can't have a loud rooster. So far his friend is trying to crow...they are almost six weeks; he isn't. I'm really hoping I can keep them because these are my favorites. I would like a FBCM hen or two as well. He has some copper in his hackles the past couple of weeks, and beautiful iridescent blue and green tones. This picture is from last week, his chest is largely black now. First, when will his white face go away? And, how loud are we talking with crowing? I'm new to chickens, but having a lot of fun with this! THANK YOU!

A Roosters crow is approximately 90 decibels - the same as a barking dog.

Keith

If anyone cares to help... do I have a pullet here? These are about one month old.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer as to the chick in the background

Attachments

• IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    770.1 KB · Views: 27
IMG_5004.JPG
IMG_5003.JPG
Help please! This is one of our Easter pullets. I not quite sure what's going on with her eye. Has anyone else had this in any bird? Her pupil is misshapen. She sees perfectly fine. None of the other 12 chicks have this.

#f#1
Has a strange growth on his comb
IMG_5296.JPG
IMG_5311.JPG
#2 has a devils horn on top of comb
IMG_5310.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG
#4 has small curve in comb
IMG_5309.JPG
These 4 cockerels are 3 1/2
- 4 months old. We are keeping 2. For sure #3 and hopefully #4.
Amy opinion or helpful criticism would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom