Black Copper Marans discussion thread

So I'm looking for some help and insitw on my Black Copper maran. When I picking these birds up I was told they are all EEs I think this beauty was accidently mixed in.
Is this a hen or roo? It constantly hides behind the other Roo. Very skidisb and hen like. Around 3 months old.
My definite French black copper marans pullets could be her sisters, here sone of them with her boy

Attachments

• IMG_2632.JPG
    IMG_2632.JPG
    711.1 KB · Views: 17
IMG_2726.JPG
My Marans are 2 mos old. The smallest is supposed to have hatched the same week as the larger ones but was said to have been bullied and not allowed by other chicks in the barn to eat much. She has doubled in size since I got her.
The other is a Possible welsummer/maran cross. But we'll see as she ages.
They seem to be thriving here with me and are all my first chickens. I love sitting with them and watching them run around and play.

Back in March I purchased a strait run of FBCM from a reputable breeder. I had never had roosters before so I have no experience with behaviors. In the end my straight run had 9 roosters. I tried to give away some of them with no success. In the end I resigned myself to attempting to handle them all. They are currently 17 weeks and are at a stage of attacking my hens relentlessly. Overnight they ganged up on the one Olive Egger Rooster I had that I intended to keep originally because he had the best temperament and was great at alerting to danger even at his young age. They ended up killing him. I read on many forums that FBCM roosters were generally good in temperament. My question is, is this normal raging hormones that will settle down or I am doomed to overly bad behavior that is not common of the breed? I have separated all the Roos from my hens out of concern for their safety. Any suggestions or helpful info would be appreciated.

I never leave the Marans males together once they are acting like they want to be the Boss. Best not to have females with the males once they act like they are ready to start fighting. I separate the male and female very young. My young male when they are out side in growout pens will fight if it rains and they are out in the rain. I guess being wet changes their looks.

#f#1
Has a strange growth on his comb View attachment 1097398 #1View attachment 1097399 #2 has a devils horn on top of comb View attachment 1097396 #3View attachment 1097391 #4 has small curve in comb View attachment 1097389 These 4 cockerels are 3 1/2
- 4 months old. We are keeping 2. For sure #3 and hopefully #4.
Amy opinion or helpful criticism would be appreciated.
I see two males with the Coronation Comb and they will breed this forward. So would not use them for breeders. If these are all hatch mates from the same breeder pen I would be inclined to just use them for eating eggs for your family

Thoughts on these roos? Which one should I keep to breed? They are 6 mos old. Last roo has a white feather so I'm assuming he's out? Thanks for your input! Im new to FBCM and love them already!

Attachments

• image000000_07.jpg
    image000000_07.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • image000000_08.jpg
    image000000_08.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • image000000_05.jpg
    image000000_05.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Thoughts on these roos? Which one should I keep to breed? They are 6 mos old. Last roo has a white feather so I'm assuming he's out? Thanks for your input! Im new to FBCM and love them already!

Also to note, the first roo is getting picked on by the second so the tail feathers are not as pretty.

Question for you about what you are looking for in the future. Do you plan on eventually getting some APA SOP quality Marans. You first male is too Black with out enough copper, the third male has a very high tail set. Process of elimination would only leave #2. Try and get a mentor to help you get started off on the right track.

Question for you about what you are looking for in the future. Do you plan on eventually getting some APA SOP quality Marans. You first male is too Black with out enough copper, the third male has a very high tail set. Process of elimination would only leave #2. Try and get a mentor to help you get started off on the right track.

Thanks for your input! In the end I just want beautuful eggs. I would like to breed them responsibility though and stay away from bad traits. My girls are just starting to lay this week. The color eggs have been 4-5's with one that was about a 7 with #8 spots. In theory, I should just hatch the darkest eggs right?
Where would I find a mentor? I would love one!

Back
Top Bottom