Black Copper Marans discussion thread

One of my cockerels with a mottled chest...
20180429_123451.jpg
20180429_123433.jpg

One of my cockerels with a mottled chest...

I had one similar to this, but with more white. Even the same kind of squarish feathers. It was a late blooming cockerel that I had thought was female until later. He turned out to be a very dark rooster with mossy feather tips.

1474631588358.jpg 1474631587630.jpg

I looked but couldn't find any pictures of him aged more - I culled him pretty early on. These were at about 2 months.

This is probably the best picture I have of Rose. He's the one hiding behind the pole, there, between the two other birds. He didn't have very coppery color, it was a bit more mahogany. The mossiness was barely noticeable unless you were looking closely.

1214161518.jpg

I had one similar to this, but with more white. Even the same kind of squarish feathers. It was a late blooming cockerel that I had thought was female until later. He turned out to be a very dark rooster with mossy feather tips.

View attachment 1365352 View attachment 1365358

I looked but couldn't find any pictures of him aged more - I culled him pretty early on. These were at about 2 months.
Any idea where this might have come from?

Any idea where this might have come from?

If you mean the line of Marans, I was told they were Greenfire 2015. I purchased them as chicks in August of 2016 from a breeder in my state (NC). I do not know where the odd coloring came from, and I've hatched many chicks from these birds and never had another like it, so I think he was likely the only one carrying the gene/s that caused it since we ate him instead of breeding him.

Back
Top Bottom