Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

All, I have two half Jersey Giant baby roos (about 8 weeks old, hatched mid-January) if anyone is interested. Free to a good home. Their dad is a stunning jersey that stands at about 2 1/2 feet tall.

I got my first JG about a week ago. She is by far my favorite breed so far! Such personality!!
[/IMG]

Where is the best place to get giants other than from a hatchery? ?

Well a reputable Breeder of course. I take it you do not know any. Perhaps if you can let me know what exactly you are looking for I can help but I am not going to put contact info for anyone here on an open forum. You could also sign up for the National Jersey Giants Club which for a small membership fee gives you access to a directory of breeders throughout the country. Best Wishes.

I got mine from Murray McMurray. Seems pretty clear that they have been crossing their Giants with Australorp to increase egg production. Out of 25 chicks 7 were sufficiently close to the standard of perfection for me to create a breeding pool from. All of them survived to adulthood and they have wonderful personalities. They do go broody and we hatched out a clutch this last August. Our Rooster has great instincts for managing his girls. We plan on eventually adding some more "show quality" genetics to our flock in the future but we have a very good base-line as they do lay more than is typical of the breed and are slightly smaller from the Australorp. Best Wishes!

Here's my JG "Blade" at 8 months old.

I also have 5 hens and have crossed the black giant with buff orps. Big chicks!

Back
Top Bottom