Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

I'm a first time chick momma, and we have a dozen 5 week old chicks (3 each: Easter Eggers, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Black Jersey Giants) and we also have a 2 week old EE roo. One of my giants keeps falling further and further behind the other girls. At this point, she's about the same size as the 2 week roo and she hasn't feathered as much as the other girls either. Is this something I should worry about? They are all on medicated chick feed (and one is getting supplements for wry neck, but that's a different story). I know giants can develop more slowly than other breeds, but she's also pretty far behind the other two giants we have. Up to this point, we've just taken the wait and see approach, and I have a feeling that's all we'll be able to do. I just want to make sure there isn't anything else I should be doing. I asked on the chick forum, but I thought maybe I would also try a bread-specific forum. I'm really excited about my giants and hope my little runt is ok.

I tried to get a picture of her next to one of the other giants. Getting photos of chicks is hard!

I'm a first time chick momma, and we have a dozen 5 week old chicks (3 each: Easter Eggers, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Black Jersey Giants) and we also have a 2 week old EE roo. One of my giants keeps falling further and further behind the other girls. At this point, she's about the same size as the 2 week roo and she hasn't feathered as much as the other girls either. Is this something I should worry about? They are all on medicated chick feed (and one is getting supplements for wry neck, but that's a different story). I know giants can develop more slowly than other breeds, but she's also pretty far behind the other two giants we have. Up to this point, we've just taken the wait and see approach, and I have a feeling that's all we'll be able to do. I just want to make sure there isn't anything else I should be doing. I asked on the chick forum, but I thought maybe I would also try a bread-specific forum. I'm really excited about my giants and hope my little runt is ok.

I tried to get a picture of her next to one of the other giants. Getting photos of chicks is hard!

Here is a link to my Grow journal at week 5. You can see that my BJG look more like your others and you littlest chick is NOT the norm as far as growth goes, even her feathers seem underdeveloped. JG are susceptible to vitamin E deficiencies which can lead to wry neck so I would take some time and effort to make sure your runt is getting a fair share of feed. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

Last edited:
Here is a link to my Grow journal at week 5. You can see that my BJG look more like your others and you littlest chick is NOT the norm as far as growth goes, even her feathers seem underdeveloped. JG are susceptible to vitamin E deficiencies which can lead to wry neck so I would take some time and effort to make sure your runt is getting a fair share of feed. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

Ok, one of my other giants has wry neck and I've been giving her supplements and have seen a lot of improvement. I guess I'll start giving this one the supplements, too. I sure hope it helps. My girl with wry neck is just the sweetest thing and I'm glad she's improving.

I had 2 cases of wry neck in my JG chicks last year but both overcame it with vitamins and some extra TLC. We seperated them and had to hand feed them. I was sure they werent going to make it but they wanted to live and faught hard. Now 1 of them is top hen and the other is still my special sweetheart. Best wishes!

I had 2 cases of wry neck in my JG chicks last year but both overcame it with vitamins and some extra TLC. We seperated them and had to hand feed them. I was sure they werent going to make it but they wanted to live and faught hard. Now 1 of them is top hen and the other is still my special sweetheart. Best wishes!

I didn't realize wry neck was common in the breed. I honestly don't see a lot of stuff about JGs-they don't seem to be very common. Almost everything I've found about wry neck was about silkies. Thanks so much for your help.

I didn't realize wry neck was common in the breed. I honestly don't see a lot of stuff about JGs-they don't seem to be very common. Almost everything I've found about wry neck was about silkies. Thanks so much for your help.

I am always happy to help. I fell in love with the JG and enjoy spreading the love. Typically starter feed does not have enough Vitamin E for JG whom tend to need it as they build their bones and frame first in order to support their larger size they get to later on as adults and the deficiency leads to wry neck. If you have any other questions do let me know. Best Wishes!

Blade in fact appears to have too many blades on his comb.  

What do you mean? Too many blades? It was split some by a fight with a buff roo that is gone now. He's from a hatchery so I'm sure he's not show stock. I will be at a poultry show tomorrow and see what they have in the breeds I'm looking for. But Blade is a great protector and a good roo.

What do you mean? Too many blades? It was split some by a fight with a buff roo that is gone now. He's from a hatchery so I'm sure he's not show stock. I will be at a poultry show tomorrow and see what they have in the breeds I'm looking for. But Blade is a great protector and a good roo.

I just mean that JG should have 6 points on the comb. He is a beautiful Roo and personality counts for a lot in my book.

Hope its not to late to post
big_smile.png
Heres my favorite rooster Jerry the Jersey Giant! hes such a gentle giant and loves to be picked up and pet, hes about 31 in. tall and weighs over 16 lb! such a gorgeous thing

Back
Top Bottom