Black Rock or Black Sex Link?

Sally R

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
I was given a chicken that had randomly adopted somebody's front yard who didn't want her. She is absolutely beautiful. When I look at pictures and read about these two breeds (Black Rock and Black Sex Link), I'm a bit confused. The pictures look pretty much the same, and the descriptions are about the same. But none of the sites suggest anything about "also being called. . . ."

Both say the parents are Rhode Island Red with Plymouth Barred Rock, so that makes me assume, understandably, that they are the same. So if they are, why don't any of the sites mention it? Am I reading things incorrectly?

I have a small flock--two Rhode Island Reds and two Red Sex Links, and now the beautiful black chicken. They have all pecked at the newbie, but never drawn any blood. I have tried to separate them, introducing one or two of the originals for a few hours at a time. How long will it take for them to be friends? My two RI Reds seem to need each other and the Sex Links are good friends, but don't have the same "connection" as the Reds. Will my new chicken ever be integrated and accepted?

Help!

Sally a recent chicken lover

I was given a chicken that had randomly adopted somebody's front yard who didn't want her. She is absolutely beautiful. When I look at pictures and read about these two breeds (Black Rock and Black Sex Link), I'm a bit confused. The pictures look pretty much the same, and the descriptions are about the same. But none of the sites suggest anything about "also being called. . . ."

Both say the parents are Rhode Island Red with Plymouth Barred Rock, so that makes me assume, understandably, that they are the same. So if they are, why don't any of the sites mention it? Am I reading things incorrectly?

I have a small flock--two Rhode Island Reds and two Red Sex Links, and now the beautiful black chicken. They have all pecked at the newbie, but never drawn any blood. I have tried to separate them, introducing one or two of the originals for a few hours at a time. How long will it take for them to be friends? My two RI Reds seem to need each other and the Sex Links are good friends, but don't have the same "connection" as the Reds. Will my new chicken ever be integrated and accepted?

Help!

Sally a recent chicken lover
Hi, and welcome to BYC! Plymouth Rocks are a breed that comes in several varieties such as the Barred Plymouth Rocks that you mentioned.
Black sex-links (also called black stars) are the result of a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster & a Barred Plymouth Rock hen.

welcome-byc.gif

Your red sex links have multiple "brand" names--Red star, cinnamon queen, golden comet, etc
Black sex links don't have quite as many names, but are known as black stars and black rocks. Same thing, just different marketing names.

Adding one lone hen to a small flock means she probably won't ever be a part of the flock, she'll be on the outskirts. They'll come to tolerate her over a few week's time, but she'll probably always be lowest. Unless she's just a real alpha hen and puts the others in their place!

Thank you. I think she'll be okay, but like you said, will probably never really be "part of the group." And part of that is that the others pair off already. The RI Reds stick together and the Red Sex Links stick together. None of them are loners. Maybe my new chicken (Cleopatra) needs a friends, too. But that would really make my husband roll his eyes at me!

Back
Top Bottom