Black Sex-Link Picture Thread!

Thank you! /img/smilies/smile.png

Their eggs are all a pale brown color, like a Buff Orpington's.  They are pretty good layers, about 4 eggs/week/hen.  I ordered some Buff Orpingtons from McMurray and some Barred Rocks from Ideal Poultry this spring to make more of this cross next year.  From the research I've done I determined that those two hatcheries had the best strains for my purposes.  I'm hoping I can get the egg production a little higher, like 5 eggs/week/hen, in the chicks I hatch next spring, while still having nice big roosters for butchering.

They are a Black Sexlink, just not the Black Sexlink that everyone's familiar with.  I've been calling them the "Ozark Sexlink." /img/smilies/smile.png

The chicks can be sexed by color.  Females are a dark brownish black color with gold cheeks, males are shades of grey - varying from light to very dark - with silver cheeks.  In this picture, starting from the left, is a female Sexlink, purebred Buff Orpington, female Sexlink, and a male Sexlink. 
48412_copy_of_liesls_pics_538.jpg

In this picture, the chick on the left is a male Sexlink and the other chick is a purebred Buff Orpington.
48412_liesls_pics_541.jpg

The females mature to look like the hens I posted.  Males mature into barred and crele colored birds. /img/smilies/wink.png
I think you stole this pick and u r wrong the chick under the hen is the male and the other 2 next to the buff Orpington are the females

There sure are some beautiful birds posted on this thread! I still have a couple BSL hens, but wish I had a few more. They're so pretty, and generally very good layers too. But like many of you, I have too many birds already. :lol: I did get a few more BR pullets again this spring though, with hopes of hatching some BSL chicks next year.

I think you stole this pick and u r wrong the chick under the hen is the male and the other 2 next to the buff Orpington are the females

I am amused that you felt the need to take precious moments of your time to falsely accuse and correct a five year old post. Bravo to you. I am flattered too that you think these pics are of such superb quality that I must have stolen them. Sheesh. Both of those pics were of my birds, in my coop, and were taken by me, with my camera. I loved that Wyandotte hen, she was an amazing mother. She came from Cackle hatchery. If I ever order birds from there I'll be sure to get some more GLWs, even though 3 of the 5 had single combs. And also, I assume "pick" is your misspelled abbreviation for picture? LOL You might want to try spelling your false accusation correctly, and with punctuation.

On the chicks, I was not "wrong." I think you must have misread or hurriedly read my picture descriptions. The two yellow chicks were purebred straight run Buff Orps, the two black-ish gold-faced chicks were Sexlink females (Buff Orp x Barred Rock), and the two grey silver-faced chicks were Sexlink males (again, BO x BR).

barnie.gif
daddyroo23, not a good way to start out here.
And not sure why you felt the need to resurrect such an old post other than to be mean.
Cowgirl71 is an esteemed and very knowledgeable member.
She knows her chickens. You're on your way to getting blocked by a lot of BYC members.

I have 6 black sexlink I bought together.. the weird thing is, one of my girls (Miss Matilda) looks completely different in the head and neck area from all the rest of my typical looking black sexlinks. She has a lot of brown in her... cape?, (at least that's what I would call it) and since her comb and wattle are so small and light pink she almost doesn't look like a chicken to me. She is the queen in the layer house, and she runs her coop in tight order over 12 other birds.  Here she is in all her splendor.

105110_0829011209a.jpg

This is exactly what my black sex links from my local feed company look like after four months! Almost no waddle orcomb?

Thank you! /img/smilies/smile.png

Their eggs are all a pale brown color, like a Buff Orpington's.  They are pretty good layers, about 4 eggs/week/hen.  I ordered some Buff Orpingtons from McMurray and some Barred Rocks from Ideal Poultry this spring to make more of this cross next year.  From the research I've done I determined that those two hatcheries had the best strains for my purposes.  I'm hoping I can get the egg production a little higher, like 5 eggs/week/hen, in the chicks I hatch next spring, while still having nice big roosters for butchering.

They are a Black Sexlink, just not the Black Sexlink that everyone's familiar with.  I've been calling them the "Ozark Sexlink." /img/smilies/smile.png

The chicks can be sexed by color.  Females are a dark brownish black color with gold cheeks, males are shades of grey - varying from light to very dark - with silver cheeks.  In this picture, starting from the left, is a female Sexlink, purebred Buff Orpington, female Sexlink, and a male Sexlink. 
48412_copy_of_liesls_pics_538.jpg

In this picture, the chick on the left is a male Sexlink and the other chick is a purebred Buff Orpington.
48412_liesls_pics_541.jpg

The females mature to look like the hens I posted.  Males mature into barred and crele colored birds. /img/smilies/wink.png

Ooh, this may just be the perfect place to answer my question! Would I get this same coloring from a Black Sex Link hen and a Buff Orpington roo?

We have 3 rooster breeds: Polish, Buff Orpington, and Buff Brahma. We have 5 hen breeds: Australorp, Buff Orpington, Buff Brahma, BSL, and EE. No EE eggs were used, but I do not know which of the other eggs come from which hens.

One of our hens just hatched 5 chicks. I thought we would be able to tell parent combinations by what the chicks look like, but 2 of these babies I simply can not tell, but they look like the two little females you have here. I am 99% sure our BSL hen belongs to our Buff Orpington roo. Would that combination make these chicks? Or, is there another combination in our flock that would create these chicks?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom