Black Widow Spider!

Quote:
It's alive in a clear container. I can see the abdomen and I see that there is one red spot and a kind of yellowing horizontal line. Then it has two more red dots on it's back. It is shiny black. The body is about 1/2 inch and has long pointed legs.

You CAUGHT it???
ep.gif
hide.gif
EWWWW!!!
hide.gif

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/spiders.htm

'This
site says that they have 3 red markings that form an hourglass' And that 'males will have lighter streaks on their abdomens'. So I'm thinking it could maybe be a male? It doesn't say the 'red markings' have to be in an hourglass shape??

ETA: This is quoted directly from that site "The female has a shiny black, globular abdomen with two yellow or red markings in a triangle shape. It looks like an hourglass. Males are smaller, lighter in color, with light streaks on the abdomen."

Last edited:
I have been searching since I first posted for the spider ID site that I used to help determined if my no-hourglass eight legger was indeed a widow. I finally found it. Have to remember to copy my favorites before I reformat my computer next time.

There is, however, considerable variation among individual widow spiders. Some have no hourglass markings. Most have a smaller red spot near the tip of the abdomen. There may be a line of red spots on the upper side of the abdomen, and northern widows often have white streaks on the sides of their abdomens.

From http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcreclusespiders.htm ... scroll down past the recluse to the widows
wink.png

KILL IT! Kill them ALL! Before they kill you and everyone on the planet!
barnie.gif
I hate spiders..they scare me.
hit.gif

I found a black widow in my chicken coop the other day. EATING A LIZARD it had caught in its web. Yes. A lizard.

Don't believe me?

spidervslizard3-1.jpg

spidervslizard2.jpg

I have a spider phobia. And a lizard phobia. I did not notice this until I was already inside the coop...and they were in the only doorway, at face level.

It was not pretty.

Kill them all.

Quote:
I'll go along with that!
hide.gif
<-- there is room under my chair for other spider weenies ... no eight leggers allowed!

Back
Top Bottom