Bleeding leg

gypsylady32

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
Columbia, TN
One of my Sapphire Gems has a leg injury and I've no idea how it happened. I am VERY careful about making sure there are no nails or wires poking about that my girls could get snagged on. She had the same leg/same injury a few weeks ago. I separated her and treated the wound with Vetericyn Plus. After 4 days, it looked healed enough and not bloody so I put her back with the rest of the flock. All seemed well until this morning. It has been over 2 weeks since the last bleeding episode. This morning I noticed blood in the coop when I went to check their food and water. Same hen and same leg was dripping blood. I separated her again and sprayed ample amounts of Vetericyn Plus on her leg. She is standing on the leg and I don't think she is limping. The wound appears to be up into the feathers and not in the scales of her leg. Is there anything else I can do for her or just hope she can heal with care I am currently giving her?
IMG_4382.jpeg
IMG_4377.jpeg

Have you considered the possibility of this being a pecking injury from another bird? One way to rule it out is to apply an ointment like Pick-No-More and see if the injury recurs.

Can you see what the wound looks like under the feathers?

Have you considered the possibility of this being a pecking injury from another bird? One way to rule it out is to apply an ointment like Pick-No-More and see if the injury recurs.

Can you see what the wound looks like under the feathers?
I'm going to get my son to help me rinse off the wound. Right now it's too messy to tell and it's up in the feathers. I'm not sure why one of the other hens would peck her on the leg (seems like an inconvenient spot), but I couldn't rule it out. I'll order some of the Pick-no-more and hopefully that will help too. Thanks for responding.

I'd clean her up, if you need to, trim the feathers away from the wound so you can see it better.
Take some more photos.

Likely she's injured it on some fencing or got her leg hung in something.
Photos of your coop/run and their space may be helpful.

I'd clean her up, if you need to, trim the feathers away from the wound so you can see it better.
Take some more photos.

Likely she's injured it on some fencing or got her leg hung in something.
Photos of your coop/run and their space may be helpful.
I'll do that. Thanks for the advice. She seems to be doing ok. No limping, still eating and drinking, ect. I"ll double check my run and coop for pointy things.

I did all I could for her leg, but Mercy passed away. I think she had a heat stroke. I found her laying peacefully in a corner. It didn't look like the other hens had been picking on her or that she had a struggle. It looked like she just fell over and was gone. I had just seen her a few hours earlier and she wasn't acting strange. I cried all day and buried her beneath her favorite tree.

My coop is in the shade all day. I have two fans blowing into the run all day long. They have a little wading pool of water to cool their feet in. I gave them all kinds of cooling treats, like watermelon, frozen strawberries, and such...being very careful not to up their protein. I also gave them electrolyte water (Hydro Hen) separate from their regular water every day. The other 4 hens seem to be doing ok and making it through this horrible summer, but Mercy just couldn't handle it. She was a big girl and easily stressed. I miss her. 😢

I did all I could for her leg, but Mercy passed away. I think she had a heat stroke. I found her laying peacefully in a corner. It didn't look like the other hens had been picking on her or that she had a struggle. It looked like she just fell over and was gone. I had just seen her a few hours earlier and she wasn't acting strange. I cried all day and buried her beneath her favorite tree.

My coop is in the shade all day. I have two fans blowing into the run all day long. They have a little wading pool of water to cool their feet in. I gave them all kinds of cooling treats, like watermelon, frozen strawberries, and such...being very careful not to up their protein. I also gave them electrolyte water (Hydro Hen) separate from their regular water every day. The other 4 hens seem to be doing ok and making it through this horrible summer, but Mercy just couldn't handle it. She was a big girl and easily stressed. I miss her. 😢
So so sorry for your loss 😔 :hugs

Back
Top Bottom