Blind Chicken?

hazen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Memphis
I have a 8 month old EE and I'm no vet, but i think she is blind. One of her eyes is a lot "cloudier" than the other. Any suggestions? She can still find the food and water but has yet to lay a single egg. Crazy!

Do you see something white inside the eye (at the bottom of the eye toward the beak) that looks like a little stringy thing all folded up (ruling out eyeworm)?

Eyeworm can cause a white cataract looking appearance.

There are other conditions that affect the eyes also. Just wanting to know if you see the worm.

no worm looking things.....just real cloudy in one eye and little cloudy in the other. she seems to miss alot of the treats given to them. very odd

Last edited:
I have a partially blind hen. . . How I found out was actually by offering her treats on my hand. Try it, especially moving your hand to her suspected blind side.

Does she automatically go for the treat, and aim right? Or does she take her time trying to "find" it or focus on it, or focus in so closely that her beak is pressing into your hand?

yes. it takes her some time to figure out whats in front of her...... the rest of the crew are like vultures......she may be blind but she is by far the sweetest bird ive had!

I have a blind chicken. She is only blind in one eye. She had gotten sick and when we checked to see what it was, she had digested half of her crop! She is such a sweetheart, but she has learned that when there is food, you have to get it! She is sick anymore, just blind in that eye! But, don't judge her by her eye, that has nothing to do with it. You said she is a sweetie so go by that! Hope This Helps!
I love my chickens!

Hey I just found this looking for help with a blind chicken..
she's blind in one eye, and as is always the way, i didn't notice she was sick until she was very sick! I've had her in the house today, giving her chicken medicine and bread and she's improving but is having a hard time getting the bread; she always over shoots and her lack of vision seems to be giving her depth perception problems! I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, and if it gets better or not? I don't mind hand feeding her at all but she seems upset and confused when she tries but doesn't get anything :(
any advice much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom