Blinking Red Light Boxes

Don't know for sure haven't used them but I heard/read that they work for awhile and then the prediator becomes use to them, customed to seeing them. Would be nice to know if they actaully do work.

I've had mine up since last Fall and have never seen a raccoon or other predator near the coop at night. My coop is about 25 feet from my 1/4 acre pond and I see coon tracks around the pond every day, but none trying to get into the coop. I have had two fox attacks, but those were daylight attacks while the chickens were free ranging. Have had NO predators try to get into the run or coop at all. I have one light up on the side and back of the run, one on the front and one on the door. I'm a believer. If I ever have a night attack with the lights working, I will post it here.

I use them and swear by them. I had a predator problem before I even had chickens: raccoons kept getting my Koi and goldfish. Even when the fish were gone, the 'coons would still ravish the pond plants looking for more fish. Nightly. So, when I got chickens and built the run, I made sure it was very secure. Then I saw the Nite Guard lights, and bought some, setting them up on three sides of the chicken run. (The fourth side was within a few feet of the house I rented, so I imagined predators wouldn't come from that direction.) Anyway, the raccoon predation stopped just like that. The ponds were "outside" the Nite Guard perimeter, but there were still no further attacks on the ponds. Or any on the chickens. Well, once a very young opossum snuck into a coop during the day, to sleep, when the lights weren't operating.

I have since moved to a much more rural area and brought those Nite Guard units with me, setting them up here. No problems with night-time predators in the coverage area. (Two ducklings wandered away from the coverage area and were killed, and a pullet stayed out all night and jumped down into the unprotected gully, and she was killed and eaten, so I know there are predators around. But they haven't breached the coverage area.)

I plan on buying some more and expanding the coverage area.

I hunt predators at night when I shine a light onto an animal they will see a white light and run away when I cover the white light with a red cover and use the red light the critters I hunt do not see the red light I get all the time I need to make the shot

Good to know they do work. Fingers crossed.....I haven't had a problem as of yet. If I were to buy them where would I look? Sporting good store, TSC???

Quote:
I also have hunted at night and the animals do not run from a red light but instead look at it. They ran from a white light. I think it is just good luck that makes people think they are working.

You can take this for what its worth, i had a fox jump the stone wall and grab a chicken everyday for a while then i put those blinkers up along the wall and have not lost a chicken since, so i guess they do work, or he moved on or died or something. they are really cool and throw off my neighbors too. Sometimes the rain knocks them over but they are just simply placed on my stone wall. all around my property about 20 feet apart.

Back
Top Bottom