blood ring or blind

Granny Hatchet

Tastes like chicken
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Sep 26, 2013
madison Indiana
I received 9 serama eggs in the mail. they went in the bator on the morning of the 21st. I candled at day 3, seen nothing, day 5 showed veining in 4 of them , one a blood ring and the rest were clear. day 7 shows the same thing. I opened 2 to confirm and they didnt look fertile. I wasnt comfortable doing the blood ring and i did keep it in the bator . today, one that i seen with NO veining looks to have a blood ring. may i say that neither one of the 2 are a complete ring but 3/4th of the way around. i kept those 2 and the other clear one in the bator because now i have no confidence in my candling ability. how do you go from nothing on day 7 to blood ring on day 8 ? I have done my fair share of incubating and even some assisted hatches. the clear one i have left looks to have either 2 yolks or the yolk is busted. the 2 i opened also looked to have a busted yolk. I cant do pics so i know this is a hard call but should i toss the 3 and keep what i know to be growing? i am afraid of contaminating the good ones. I also only have these few in the bator and i know that dont help the hatch. the humidity is holding at 40 % w/ a dry bator. and air cells are on track.

big_smile.png
Found it at goodwill for .75 cents.

I always go on if I'm not sure I leave them in the incubator. I find as well that if I have one I'm unsure of that I smell it you can usually tell by the smell of it's going bad. Also I do regular smelling of the incubator near the vent hole and if I smell something bad there I will open it up and check my unsure eggs.

It's quite possible in 24 hours they could develop a blood ring. If you think it only takes 21 days for full incubation, egg to chick a lot can happen in 24 hours. Also I find some eggs a bit sneaky as that you can think they are clear at day7 but then candle day14 and you have development. I have read of people learning from this, thinking eggs are clear only to crack them open and find a developing chick in the egg.

Good luck with your eggs :fl

Both of mine out of the hatch I am in went from blank to blood ring in 24 hours and I want to say neither went 100% around. They didn't smell, not even when I took them out and cracked them, but there wasn't any embryo development in them. The one that almost blew up, had no blood ring whatsoever, no embryo and stunk to high heavens when I took it apart. funny thing was it wasn't a normal rotten egg smell. Just as bad though.

Thank you!!! We just had this "discussion" on another thread and I was basically told I was confused and you are supposed to count the day you set them. That is not what I was taught and it makes sense to me that day one starts 24 hours after set with day two starting 48 hours after. Glad to know that i am not crazy....lol

No you are not crazy it is how it works there is no development when you first set!! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom