bloody vent..........please help fast

Skhan

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
INDIA,DHANBAD
My 5 week broiler chick is having vent problem .......its looking like deep blood.....and some internal organs coming out when I press........slow digestion and weak....please help me out fast

It could be prolapse. It's most common in laying hens, when they lay too big of an egg but is also found in chicks occasionally. If it looks like any of the internals are showing or coming out, use a Q-tip and gently push it back in. When this happened to my little bird I also rubbed a little raw honey on her to sooth it and prevent swelling. I have also heard of people using Prep H too.

Here is a picture in post # 11 of a vent prolapse which sounds like what you are seeing: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/111976/prolapsed-vent-update-graphic-picture-warning/10 It should be lubricated with honey, and pushed back inside. It may keep coming back out especially when she poops, so you need to isolate her because she will be pecked to death. This also may have occurred because of vent pecking--chickens will cannibalize each other if kept in too small an area, and not fed high enough protein, or just because it happens. Honey is a very good antiseptic and will help the tissue to shrink.

Back
Top Bottom