Prolapse vent bloodied help

Chickmomi

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2024
My hen has had few things going.
She has a prilapsed vent so I brought her inside and have been doing the Epsom soaks and removing the tissue and pushing it in.
I have applied antibiotic, cortisone, Vaseline, honey and sugar.
She pops it back out.
She also pooped with worms so I gave her piperazine and it looked fine after that. She went on having normal poo for the next 4 days after that.
We thought she was doing better.
This morning we went in and found her all bloodied in the vent.

She had laid an egg and it was covered in some sack.
She also had one poo and there was a roundworm in it. She hasn't popped since. There is blood and water everywhere. I think it's clear liquid dropping.
I am at a loss.

She also has bumblefoot. We were hoping to fix that after her prolapse is better.

Please help.

Attachments

• 20240106_111347.jpg
    20240106_111347.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 20240106_111342.jpg
    20240106_111342.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240106_111219.jpg
    20240106_111219.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240106_111148.jpg
    20240106_111148.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 34
Can you cut the “egg” in half to take a picture of the contents, in case it is a lash egg? She might benefit from some calcium with vitamin d to increase her muscle tone. There could be another egg or lash egg coming behind that one. A daily soak in warm soapy or Epsom salts water may help her prolapse heal and go back in, while also keeping her clean. Continue to use a lubricant such as honey, cream, or ointment to keep the prolapse from drying out. Keep her separated until her prolapse stays in.

Can you cut the “egg” in half to take a picture of the contents, in case it is a lash egg? She might benefit from some calcium with vitamin d to increase her muscle tone. There could be another egg or lash egg coming behind that one. A daily soak in warm soapy or Epsom salts water may help her prolapse heal and go back in, while also keeping her clean. Continue to use a lubricant such as honey, cream, or ointment to keep the prolapse from drying out. Keep her separated until her prolapse stays in.
I have already been doing this for last 10 days. In that time she gave 3 eggs. Perfectly normal than we put her in dark room and that helped slowed the egg production. But three days later here we have this egg. So I continue despite the things getting better and now getting worse?

Update: we gave another soak and creams and I debrided the tissue while shaking. It seemed better. We also open the egg and it was a perfectly normal egg. I am worried as she has diarrhea now and she seems to be straining and no longer eating. Can this be coccidiosis? What can I give her to help her heal?
Please help

I don’t think it is coccidiosis, but a reproductive disorder. It may be something with her shell gland in her oviduct or salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct.) I would try giving her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D 3 tablet orally daily for the next week. She probably cells weak and lethargic due to this illness. Her egg looks to be covered by a membrane, so that is obviously an oviduct issue. If you are not against using an antibiotic, I would try giving some amoxicillin 250 mg orally twice a day for 10 days. You also could use enrofloxacin. Antibiotics are now becoming hard to get online.

I don’t think it is coccidiosis, but a reproductive disorder. It may be something with her shell gland in her oviduct or salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct.) I would try giving her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D 3 tablet orally daily for the next week. She probably cells weak and lethargic due to this illness. Her egg looks to be covered by a membrane, so that is obviously an oviduct issue. If you are not against using an antibiotic, I would try giving some amoxicillin 250 mg orally twice a day for 10 days. You also could use enrofloxacin. Antibiotics are now becoming hard to get online.
How do I get.antibiotics in canada without a prescription? I read a thread about fish medicine but don't remember what.
Okay so I will continue giving her the citrate with vitamin d in the meantime. Thanks so much.

A quick update, gave the girl another soak and covered in lube etc. And also gave her calcium citrate with vitamin D.
Well she hasn't been able to poop it was just liquid and she was straining. So when I walked in just to say good night, there was something hanging out that looked like an egg. Well I thought I should help her so I gave her a hand and she was able to pass it. I have a picture attached. I don't know what this is? Is it lash egg? What can I do? I can't get antibiotics without a prescription, is there a way I.can help this poor girl?

Attachments

• 20240107_205312.jpg
    20240107_205312.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240107_205307.jpg
    20240107_205307.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240107_205319.jpg
    20240107_205319.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 26
It looks like an egg membrane and other material, mucus, etc. I think she has salpingitis. You will not be able to get antibiotics without a vet or prescription most likely. Hopefully, your hen will have good results from giving the calcium for the next week. Sometimes after an illness like this they may stop laying altogether, and for her, that might be a good thing. Do you have any farm animals or a farm vet who might help with an antibiotic? Here is some reading:
https://www.bhwt.org.uk/hen-health/health-problems/lash-eggs-salpingitis/

It's not egg yolk peritonitis?
The symptoms look like that.
I will see where I can find one.
Thanks for replying so quick.

Back
Top Bottom