Blooie's Blankie Fort

Nope, was not shaking, thankfully. Got a couple more pips 8-0 gonna be another long day. and working on an MHP upgrade....finally going to pad under rack. Got one chick with an umbilical bump, at about 24 hours old it looks like it's drying up. Thought maybe @AmyLynn2374 could take a look, I know she has beaucoup hatching experience. Will tag her here but maybe I should PM? I left this one in the bator , thought the moist environment would be better??
It's a tiny bit of yolk sac that didn't absorb. That part will most likely shrivel up and fall off. I had one that had a good amount of yolk unabsorbed. Almost all except a little bit like that absorbed. That little ball dried up and pulled up against the chick. A couple days later I was examining it to see if I could get under it to cut it off and it fell right off.

I want these chicks out of my bathroom!!! I will hear one screaming because it jumped out of the brooder and can't figure out how to get back in. As I'm chasing it around trying to catch it to put it back in, 3 more jump out. While I'm catching the ones closest to me, the original one, jumps back in. So, now, I just put a dish of water out on the bathroom floor and I don't go back in except at my scheduled feed and water check times. Since there ate two brooders, I have a few that jump back and forth between the 2. But the bulk of them spend all their time on TOP of the heat plate, I think they will do quite nicely outside under the nice shady tree, while temps go up to the high 80's. Friday I'll try to move them. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I get it done.

On the good news - I shipped 2 roosters and 1 hen from my 1/1 hatch today. They should get to their PO by 3:00 tomorrow. They are staying in CA - so I don't think the trip will be too hard on them.

Aart - sounds like you are doing everything right. Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited:
20 hatched and looking good....#21 may not make it.
Definitely made some mistakes, temps, and humidity fluctuations.
Last 5 were assists...tough calls there.... never did that many.
Rest of eggs have been pulled, no pips, and 3 chicks in incy will go to brooded hopefully yet tonite......man that bator stinks!!
Eggtopsy tomorrow.

Did the MHP booboo..... after revamping put it back in and forgot to disable the auto off.<headsmack>
Woke up from my nap to a lot of cheeping.....but no one died..and all is well again.
Tho not happy with revamp, got another idea after these chicks go to their new home in a couple days.

#21 made it!!
It had a slightly open abdomen and curled up feet....after 12 hours abdomen looks great and only the 2 biggest toes still slightly askew.
Checked all butts this morning and not one pasty....only a couple chicks were stickyish.....the umbilical bump one still looks good, it's drying up, no sign of infection.

Are egg that just look like chocolate OK in here?
:D

Just got these today for the next hatch!
Have always wanted Marans...found some just 5 miles away.
My new flock sire may in one of those eggs.
Better than the Wellie for Olive Eggers.

Are egg that just look like chocolate OK in here?
:D

Just got these today for the next hatch!
Have always wanted Marans...found some just 5 miles away.
My new flock sire may in one of those eggs.
Better than the Wellie for Olive Eggers.
Very pretty eggs. I am about to hatch 16 eggs that look just like that. I picked them up today. I'm hatching them for a friend. We're having a discussion on the April or the Easter HAL thread about lower humidity for these eggs, since they have trouble losing moisture. I have had the WORST luck hatching Maran eggs, so I'm looking for better advice for this hatch.

Good luck with yours!!!!

Yeah, am nervous about being able to candle the air cells.
After the disparity in air cell growth in the last hatch am consigned to hit the middle of the road and hope for the best..
I'm going to weigh these. Many people don't candle, they calculate the air cell by how much weight they lose. I'll see if I can find the list of how much weight they should lose.

Back
Top Bottom