Blooie's Blankie Fort

wee.gif
and
caf.gif

14 chicks hatched, another close, and more pips.
Oh, btw, 32 eggs went into lockdown.
Have seen some amazing low pips come out just fine.

Buyer showed up for the five 2yo hens too...yay!!!
Am thrilled, online sales can be a PITA, this one went very well.
Cash money for Marans hatching eggs I am picking up tomorrow, and an uncrowded(for now) main coop

Now have to decide if I should take the humidity drop risk of removing most of the chicks to the brooder this evening.
Am trying to hold off for once, but those little bouncers are crazy in there.
Not sure if that activity helps or hinders the pipped chicks.

Chicken Juggling has been exhausting today...need motrin and a nap.

14 chicks hatched, another close, and more pips.
Oh, btw, 32 eggs went into lockdown.
Have seen some amazing low pips come out just fine.

Buyer showed up for the five 2yo hens too...yay!!!
Am thrilled, online sales can be a PITA, this one went very well.
Cash money for Marans hatching eggs I am picking up tomorrow, and an uncrowded(for now) main coop

Now have to decide if I should take the humidity drop risk of removing most of the chicks to the brooder this evening.
Am trying to hold off for once, but those little bouncers are crazy in there.
Not sure if that activity helps or hinders the pipped chicks.

Chicken Juggling has been exhausting today...need motrin and a nap.
Wow, you have had a busy day!!

Two schools of thought on that one from what I've been able to figure out, @aart Leaving them in supposedly encourages the remaining chicks to keep actively pipping and zipping away. The other says that letting them rock and roll the eggs around in there as they stumble around can cause an internal pip that was on top of the egg to end up at the bottom, and the chicks in the eggs can drown or stop working because their orientation has changed. As far as the humidity, I suppose if you have damp sponge handy and work fast to get the hatched ones out then get that sponge in there, it wouldn't change that drastically, although it will drop. Remember that it takes the air in the incubator a very short time to change, but it will take the mass of the eggs longer to reflect that. I dunno, I'm winging it here. If it was me, I'd take the oldest hatched ones out and leave any that are still kinda wet or having a little trouble getting their feet under them in the incubator. But then we all know how successfully I hatched my first batches of eggs!
hide.gif

I do have a huge wetted surface area for max humidity recovery,
paper towels covering most the bottom under the mesh and dipped down into the reservoirs.
I have been pulling the shells out the windows(instead of opening the whole top).
I've usually removed groups to brooder when they got too rowdy, have probably lost some pippers because of it.
This is my 6th incubator hatch plus one broody hatch.
Thinking maybe this time I'll let it go to the end...dunno what I'll do, probably won't until I do it.

I caved...put oldest 9 in brooder....helped 1 ready to come out but slightly shrink wrapped, moistened 3 more pips, 13 eggs remaining.
(terrible)Pics for @Blooie ...yep, 100W reptile bulb(will be turned off at dark).....and HP, which they are already finding on their own.

That's a good hatch, @aart How did your humidity rebound with the setup you had going, and how many more to go? I know you said you had 3 pips and 13 eggs remaining, but is that 13 including the pipped or 13 plus the 3?

They look great - strong, curious....and oh, so FLUFFY!!

Back
Top Bottom