Blooie's Blankie Fort

13 with no pips plus the 3 moistened pips.
Started with 41, 9 were clear at lockdown...so 16 hatched out of 32 is not too bad.

I don't have the hygrometer in there, but windows are fogged, paper towels saturated, reservoirs filled.

Tomorrow may be a trying day.
Just put the 4 crates from sale birds away, turned off the heat light in brooder, and am bushed.

Thanks for listening all day ;-)

Gosh, if you've got condensation like that your humidity might be a little too high. Wouldn't that indicate a humidity of over 90%? Shoot, I dunno.....

I didn't just listen to be nice, you know!! I really like following these hatches - especially when I ain't having to do it myself but can still enjoy the excitement and the cute little chicks!!

Exposed membranes on pips looking dry so don't think it can get it too high at this point.
Think that should be ok, but maybe not..... Yikes!

What ever the reason, I appreciate it.

This one I DO know....if the membranes are a little dry, dip a Q-Tip (or your fingertip) in Neosporin or Coconut oil, the gently dab the dry part of the membrane.
I thought about using oil, but just used water.

Found something interesting, there are two layers membranes inside an egg,
the membrane closer to the shell was dry and bright white,
the inner membrane was dark(wet on inside) but tough and I think this must be the membrane that 'shrink wraps'.
Many may know that, but I had never seen it as i haven't assisted much.

So I assisted 4 pips, one was quite far along and I released that inner membrane(no bleeding) and some shell and the chick got out.
3 other pips were small, I chipped away some shell(very carefully) and that outer dry white membrane came off with the shell.
Chicks were breathing, but the inner membranes were still vein laden so I left it alone.
Chipped more shell and outer membrane and wetted everything as much as possible without drowning chick.
Put them back in the incy and within 4 hours two had hatched...and by this morning the 3rd had hatched.....whew!

The remaining 13 eggs are not pipped that I could see, haven't looked closely at each one yet, need coffee first.
Incubator has that after hatch reeking stink, but I think we're done.
Maybe the 103 temp spike killed the male chicks. Eggtopsy will occur...I think.

Did your hands shake like crazy while you were assisting? I know mine did, and I was terrified I was going to skewer the little guy with the tweezers!! Good job, my friend!!! You could try water candling a couple of the remaining eggs to see if there's still life in them before you do the eggopsy.

Nope, was not shaking, thankfully.

Got a couple more pips
8-0
gonna be another long day.
and working on an MHP upgrade....finally going to pad under rack.

Got one chick with an umbilical bump, at about 24 hours old it looks like it's drying up.
Thought maybe @AmyLynn2374 could take a look, I know she has beaucoup hatching experience.
Will tag her here but maybe I should PM?
I left this one in the bator , thought the moist environment would be better??

I thought about using oil, but just used water.

Found something interesting, there are two layers membranes inside an egg,
the membrane closer to the shell was dry and bright white,
the inner membrane was dark(wet on inside) but tough and I think this must be the membrane that 'shrink wraps'.
Many may know that, but I had never seen it as i haven't assisted much.

So I assisted 4 pips, one was quite far along and I released that inner membrane(no bleeding) and some shell and the chick got out.
3 other pips were small, I chipped away some shell(very carefully) and that outer dry white membrane came off with the shell.
Chicks were breathing, but the inner membranes were still vein laden so I left it alone.
Chipped more shell and outer membrane and wetted everything as much as possible without drowning chick.
Put them back in the incy and within 4 hours two had hatched...and by this morning the 3rd had hatched.....whew!

The remaining 13 eggs are not pipped that I could see, haven't looked closely at each one yet, need coffee first.
Incubator has that after hatch reeking stink, but I think we're done.
Maybe the 103 temp spike killed the male chicks. Eggtopsy will occur...I think.
That outer membrane is supposed to look dry and white. That's normal, and not the membrane that need worrying about. It's the inner membrane. And your humidity is probably way too high. Too high means you could drown the chicks before they make it to pipping.

That outer membrane is supposed to look dry and white. That's normal, and not the membrane that need worrying about. It's the inner membrane. And your humidity is probably way too high. Too high means you could drown the chicks before they make it to pipping.
Ah, thanks.

Humidity is about 80-85%...and it's only been up that high since day 20-21.
Today is Day 23.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom