Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Hey Don, while I have you on here, I do have a general question for you. This could be something that relates to all fowl, but this is specifically related to large fowl columbian Wyandottes. I am wanting to work on the size, they have wonderful type, but would like to see if I can increase their size by about 10 to 15%....my only options really are just careful selection in offspring or outsourcing, yes?

Thanks again Don and Vicki. I appreciate you both.

Don, I think the single matings are going to tell me tons. Oh was going to say...I have access to a Splash Copper hen...egg color needs work, she is from Bill, my old dark blue large male and the same females that produced that the Blue Copper hen. She is just as large as the Blue Copper, has better shank and toe feathering and if memory serves correctly, when I saw her the other day she did not appear to have the same high rear end. I gave this Splash pullet and 2 dark blue copper pullets to my bestfriend for Christmas a couple years ago because she wanted babies from Bill Sr. Both of the dark blue hens she has are very dark and show no copper, but I don't like them enough to use them. I do like the Splash and best friend has offered to let me have her back to rebuild.

Coming from the same lineage as the Blue Copper hen, would she be worth single mating too you think?

Hey Don, while I have you on here, I do have a general question for you. This could be something that relates to all fowl, but this is specifically related to large fowl columbian Wyandottes. I am wanting to work on the size, they have wonderful type, but would like to see if I can increase their size by about 10 to 15%....my only options really are just careful selection in offspring or outsourcing, yes?
Vicki, The Columbian is my all time favorite color. I would weigh all the female and go over the station. I would use the largest female with the best type male. If you know of another flock of Columbian you could get to you goal much quicker, even if you could get a nice large female. You would only have to use an out of flock female just one year.

Vicki, The Columbian is my all time favorite color. I would weigh all the female and go over the station. I would use the largest female with the best type male. If you know of another flock of Columbian you could get to you goal much quicker, even if you could get a nice large female. You would only have to use an out of flock female just one year.
I only know of two, one out of Idaho I think and then in Kansas that is starting his own group, and know he used Silver Laced crossed with New Hampshires to get the columbians. Not sure that's a route I want to go

Thanks again Don and Vicki. I appreciate you both.

Don, I think the single matings are going to tell me tons. Oh was going to say...I have access to a Splash Copper hen...egg color needs work, she is from Bill, my old dark blue large male and the same females that produced that the Blue Copper hen. She is just as large as the Blue Copper, has better shank and toe feathering and if memory serves correctly, when I saw her the other day she did not appear to have the same high rear end. I gave this Splash pullet and 2 dark blue copper pullets to my bestfriend for Christmas a couple years ago because she wanted babies from Bill Sr. Both of the dark blue hens she has are very dark and show no copper, but I don't like them enough to use them. I do like the Splash and best friend has offered to let me have her back to rebuild.

Coming from the same lineage as the Blue Copper hen, would she be worth single mating too you think?
Kim, I would grab the Splash female and do not worry too much at this point as you are working on setting the Type and shape in place. just single mate and keep records. Forgot those string tys and start using a leather punch. Their is a punch chart on my profile page that will help mark 80 different ones.

I only know of two, one out of Idaho I think and then in Kansas that is starting his own group, and know he used Silver Laced crossed with New Hampshires to get the columbians. Not sure that's a route I want to go
Vicki, You would think that some of the Herbet Holtz wyandotte blood would still be out that way since he had some of the very best to be had for years.I also see several good looking flocks of large fowl showing up in Canada lately. Let me see what I can locate for you. I would not fool with the crossed flock as it is a head ache waiting to happen.

Vicki, You would think that some of the Herbet Holtz wyandotte blood would still be out that way since he had some of the very best to be had for years.I also see several good looking flocks of large fowl showing up in Canada lately. Let me see what I can locate for you. I would not fool with the crossed flock as it is a head ache waiting to happen.
haha that's what I thought about the crossed flock as well. I would appreciate seeing what you could find. I have asked everyone around here that I know is into the wyandottes and no one has the Holtz line that I could find. Let me look up where the guy from Idaho that contacted me said his birds were from

Done deal on the Splash from my friend. Will pick her up in a few days...quarantine for 30 and then see what happens. :)

Vicki~ What would you say is the average weights on the females you use for your breeding stock?

Done deal on the Splash from my friend. Will pick her up in a few days...quarantine for 30 and then see what happens.
smile.png

Vicki~ What would you say is the average weights on the females you use for your breeding stock?
if its the coppers, I'm sitting at between 5 and 7 pounds, the lighter end for the pullets and the heavier for the hens. The birchens are not quite that large yet, but getting there. I have three or four from last year and the year before that are comparable to the coppers.

if its the coppers, I'm sitting at between 5 and 7 pounds, the lighter end for the pullets and the heavier for the hens. The birchens are not quite that large yet, but getting there. I have three or four from last year and the year before that are comparable to the coppers. 

Thanks...yes I was asking about the coppers. What weights do you typically use for the males and about what age do your males finishing maturing? As in putting on weight.

Back
Top Bottom