Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics

Any one have thoughts on this roo. I purchased hatching eggs from a breeder saying he has black coppers, blues, and splash. He said this is his splash rooster. Anyone ever see a splash with this kind of coloring? I don't think his shanks are feathered either, dark but not feathered. All of his other flock pics look like normal splash that I've seen before, mostly white with splashes of blue/gray. I dont currently breed splash so I'm a little unfamiliar with the color variations.

Last edited:
My blue copper maran's first 4 eggs have been a medium brown with a dark speckle!

I'm hoping it darkens up, I got her for some deep, dark eggs!

Any one have thoughts on this roo. I purchased hatching eggs from a breeder saying he has black coppers, blues, and splash. He said this is his splash rooster. Anyone ever see a splash with this kind of coloring? I don't think his shanks are feathered either, dark but not feathered. All of his other flock pics look like normal splash that I've seen before, mostly white with splashes of black/gray. I dont currently breed splash so I'm a little unfamiliar with the color variations.

I could be totally wrong, but I thought that splashes were white with splashes of blue on them. I'm not sure if the red should be there?

I could be totally wrong, but I thought that splashes were white with splashes of blue on them.  I'm not sure if the red should be there?
Yeah that's what I'm wondering about, the red. Since I posted this earlier I did see one pic in this thread of a roo with some red wing coloring similar to the pic I posted, but not near as much.

The only thing I can see that I would change would be opening up the tail feathers on the female. We really have no idea of what a proposed SOP will have included.

Here's the rooster I found with the red wing coloring. Not near as much as the one I posted, but similar red coloring

Last edited:
I could use some help to determine if my Marans fit within this thread, or if they are a cross outside of this description.
It is my understanding that my chicks came from a Blue Copper Roo (Bev Davis line?) over a BBS Hen (probably a blue?).
I'm hoping for good dark eggshell color.

My chicks are just about 3 months old.  The splash cockerel has developed deep copper across the wings and softer copper on the head/neck, much like bobbiechicks post.  The splash pullet has no copper at all, while the blue pullet is starting to show copper on the neck.  The splash chicks have white legs, the blue pullet has very dark legs and head color (slate?).  Sorry I don't have any photos to post at this time.

I was wondering if these characteristics are typical of any Marans:

The splash cockerel had long center toes for awhile, and the overall proportions of an ostrich; he was just so ungainly looking but has grown into a nice shape.  He was very slow feathering compared to his sisters, and still doesn't have much of a tail.

Considering how long the cockerel's neck was, his splash sister appears to have a shorter than average neck (always looks tucked in) and her legs are long.  She has a tall tail that is quite straight over her back.   Both splash birds are really sweet natured, the pullet is very personable & easy to handle.

The blue pullet seems to have more typical proportions and tail angle, with light lacing around her feathers; is generally more wary of people but good with other chicks.

Hi!
Yes, the body characteristics that you describe, IMO, are pretty common. Tall, gangly, awkward juvenile males with long necks and very long middle toes. I laughed out loud when I read that because I sometimes can't believe how long their middle toes can be until they grow into their big feet and long legs. Over the next couple of months you should see your male grow out of his gangly-ness. :)

Last edited:
Any one have thoughts on this roo. I purchased hatching eggs from a breeder saying he has black coppers, blues, and splash. He said this is his splash rooster. Anyone ever see a splash with this kind of coloring? I don't think his shanks are feathered either, dark but not feathered. All of his other flock pics look like normal splash that I've seen before, mostly white with splashes of blue/gray. I dont currently breed splash so I'm a little unfamiliar with the color variations.
Blue, Black, Splash Marans (aka... BBS), solid birds that do not carry copper genetics and Black Copper, Blue Copper and Splash Copper are 2 different color varieties of Marans, so when speaking of the Blue Copper variety and Splash Copper varieties...then a person would see copper in the Splash that come from copper genetics. Solid BBS Marans should not carry copper and should not show copper as they are suppose to be based on silver. True solid BBS birds are pretty rare and IMHO, alot of "BBS" Marans are Marans that have copper genetics in their background somewhere. It's very easy to assume a melanised BCM or melanised Blue Copper as a solid bird as some melanised birds can appear completely black, blue and splash. SOMEBODY CORRECT ME PLEASE IF I AM MISTAKEN IN WHAT I SAY IN THE PARAGRAPH BELOW....I don't want to give the wrong info. :) When the 2 varieties are crossed it can create offspring that carry one copy of each gene, 1 gold/red (not sure if gold and red are considered the same here) and 1 silver. The silver can produce birds that can show color in the hackle, wing bow and saddles, lighter than should be, ie... cream/yellow or gold. If the Coppers also carry Mahogany, Mahogany will show as red in the shoulders of the males, but I am uncertain of the effects of Mahogany on silver based birds. Hope others come by to post their opinion and I hope this helps and I didn't confuse anyone or anything or give the wrong info.

Okay Don and Vicki... here is Splash Jordan, the Splash Copper hen that I gave to my bestfriend 2 years ago as a chick. She is a beast, just like the Blue Copper I have. Her topline, IMO, is better than the Blue Coppers and tail end is not as high. Her tail could be a little more open, it's not as open as my other girls, but she is nice and wide from shoulders to tail.
Couple things I don't care for about her is..the very last point on the comb that is slightly wonky with a bend, she has a double chin, for lack of better words and she is a little fluffy in the feathering dept for me...seems like she could be just a smidge tighter feathered. As for the double chin, well she looks like she is sporting what resembles a very very small thin dewlap. Don't know if you can see it in the photo but would love to hear thoughts.

She is lightly feathered on the shank and outer toe, but Will, (leg photo posted below) should help out with the 2 females that need help in the shank feathering dept.
If you need more photos of her let me know, had a hard time getting her to cooperate yesterday, too many goodies to get to under all those leaves.

Will's shank and outer toe feathering. Can't really see the toes but he's good!

Back
Top Bottom