Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Well Vicki, those Blue Copper chicks that are just over month old are growing like WEEDS! Literally!
I might have 4 cockerels unless the one that I am questioning is just a VERY LARGE pullet, but the comb and wattle area are not like the other 3 males, which are big and red now at this point. Time will tell.
In the next couple of weeks I will get more photos of them. The ones that you had me mark are now looking near identical to the others with very little difference except I can still see a very small amount of white above the marked ones eyes. Good thing they are banded.
smile.png
Very good, I figured they would become hard to tell apart as they aged, I'm most curious to see what the common thread of their coloring is, whether its a difference in how they color in, whether or not they are all males, or all pullets, or etc. These are the two most common things I've heard people say are factors, but to be able to see as they grow will be nice. I plan on doing that with this next hatch to see what I can find out.

can someone please be so kind as to tell me the correct name for this color also any guesses on sex are welcome.

Assuming they came from Blue Copper and Black Copper and or Splash Copper parentage, they would be Blue Coppers.

I would guess the sex but on my monitor, I cannot see the birds head clear enough to safely say.

can someone please be so kind as to tell me the correct name for this color also any guesses on sex are welcome.

Assuming they came from Blue Copper and Black Copper and or Splash Copper parentage, they would be Blue Coppers.

I would guess the sex but on my monitor, I cannot see the birds head clear enough to safely say.

would someone mind explaining the white markings?
I also have blue copper chicks around 5 weeks old, and would appreciate any advice regarding feathering, etc.  
I've heard comments about white feathers in the wings, and gathered that is not desirable.
pinkchick's  comments about the pink comb and wattle are also timely.  Of my three chicks, the comb/wattles are all developed differently: one is clearly a roo, one is developed but not red, and one has not developed - I am hoping for better odds than 1/3 pullets.

The white we are talking about right now is the white markings around the face of newly hatched chicks and how it changes as they feather in and grow out.
White in the wing tip can start to show on birds as early as when they start to feather out. The chicks I have right now that are just now over a month old, already have white on one of their primary flights. Normally, or should I say, in most circumstances the white in wing disappears after their juvenile molt, it's when it doesn't that it is not desirable when breeding toward SOP fowl.

Each bird matures at a different rate. I have had little cockerels combs/wattles be prominent and start pinking up as early as 8-10 days old, others have taken their sweet time and all of a sudden over a month old finally show some comb/wattle development, but he had other traits that were noticeably cockerel-ish before the comb and wattle.
Photos if you can would help and I am sure someone can help you sex them with a few pics.

Last edited:
would someone mind explaining the white markings?
I also have blue copper chicks around 5 weeks old, and would appreciate any advice regarding feathering, etc.
I've heard comments about white feathers in the wings, and gathered that is not desirable.
pinkchick's comments about the pink comb and wattle are also timely. Of my three chicks, the comb/wattles are all developed differently: one is clearly a roo, one is developed but not red, and one has not developed - I am hoping for better odds than 1/3 pullets.
Does this help?

This little chickie is too dark on the face.

This little chickie is too white on the face.

this little chickie is closer to what they are talking about.

I have hatched some that were almost solid black too... not good.

Does this help?

This little chickie is too dark on the face.

This little chickie is too white on the face.

this little chickie is closer to what they are talking about.

I have hatched some that were almost solid black too... not good.
good examples, the only thing I'd add is with Birchens things will be different, depending on how they were derived. Just thought I'd toss that in there for ya since you got those males.

Back
Top Bottom