Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS. Only poultry dust (pyrethrin) and piprazine are actually approved for chickens in the US, so for off-label use of other products, it's anyone's guess about withdrawal times for eggs. I usually wait about a week, but that's just my comfort zone. One day might be plenty, who knows? Mary

Well before I hijacked this thread with mite control, I'd asked about comparing U of A's with Cream Legbars. I have a pair of CL and have not been impressed with them so far along with others I have read about and looking for an alternative blue egg layer. (Maybe I need to try another pair.) My priorities with a blue egg layer in order are;
1. Beautiful blue eggs
2. Good production
3. Calm temperament
4. Auto sexing breed
I know you can't have it all, but we can try.
smile.png

Egg color on my U of A's is a pale sky blue. No hint of green what so ever. If the color was more "saturated" instead of so pale, the would be perfect. Egg size for me has been small to medium so far but others have seen large+. Productivity: excellent. My best layers... I haven't kapt records but i would estimate 5 eggs per week . Temprament: flighty... They are hard to catch. Can sex them pretty early based on comb .

What is a Whiting Blue? The same as we have been calling U of A Blue?

I started a thread for Whiting Blues. They are for pickup only in Colorado. It is a fish fly place so he uses the feathers for his lures. He also has a line of Green egg layers along with the Blues.

From the descriptions, Whiting Blues are not like the ones that came out of UofA. They look more line Easter Egger or Coloncas.

I am considering buying some Norwegian Jaerhon hatching eggs this spring along with the U of A Blue eggs with the intent of crossing them with the hope of keeping the Norwegian Jaehon Auto-sexing trait and the U of A blue egg. Norwegian Jaehon are smaller large birds that lay large white eggs from Norway. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Last edited:
I am considering buying some Norwegian Jaerhon hatching eggs this spring along with the U of A Blue eggs with the intent of crossing them with the hope of keeping the Norwegian Jaehon Auto-sexing trait and the U of A blue egg. Norwegian Jaehon are smaller large birds that lay large white eggs from Norway. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

It would take some work to make sure you keep the Blue egg shell Genes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom