Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I'm leaning towards cockerel.
idunno.gif

Are these shiny pointy hackle feathers? I'm not sure what they look like when they first come in. They are in the middle of the back

Maybe I should say saddle feathers

Perhaps, but honestly by the time the saddle starts to come in the other indicators ( wattle and comb ) , should already have indicated sex. By the time I could 'feather sex ' my wyandottes it's already pretty clear whether it's a roo or pullet. Sorry if that sounds like ' double Dutch ' , I just don't rely on feather sexing. :)

I'll be posting pictures of your babies next weekend
smile.png
I really can't wait.
big_smile.png

Perrrrsonally I wouldn't sell/cull any until I was totally 100% sure (ie hackle and saddle feathers are obvious, or it's crowing)

I'm 99% sure the first one is a male, and 80% sure the 2nd one is a male
What makes you say that? I am still trying to figure all this out, but the feather pattern looks feminine to me.

Perhaps, but honestly by the time the saddle starts to come in the other indicators ( wattle and comb ) , should already have indicated sex. By the time I could 'feather sex ' my wyandottes it's already pretty clear whether it's a roo or pullet. Sorry if that sounds like ' double Dutch ' , I just don't rely on feather sexing.
smile.png
See, this is interesting to me, because I found the feathers to be the most reliable indicator for our wyandottes. We had 25+ chicks and I almost drove myself crazy trying to sex them ASAP. I finally ended up taking pics of each bird, from several angles and posting all of them on BYC to ask some experts(bless em, they obliged). I was told by more than one person that we were very roo heavy and was crushed until I realized that we were actually pullet heavy, by quite a bit. I was also told to cull the lighter colors as they wouldn't darken up, but they did--significantly. Thank the gods I didn't listen. It left me wondering if our line is different from others.

Wyandottes drive me batty, but it's an enjoyable kind of nuts.

I really can't wait. :D

What makes you say that?  I am still trying to figure all this out, but the feather pattern looks feminine to me.

See, this is interesting to me, because I found the feathers to be the most reliable indicator for our wyandottes.  We had 25+ chicks and I almost drove myself crazy trying to sex them ASAP.  I finally ended up taking pics of each bird, from several angles and posting all of them on BYC to ask some experts(bless em, they obliged).  I was told by more than one person that we were very roo heavy and was crushed until I realized that we were actually pullet heavy, by quite a bit.  I was also told to cull the lighter colors as they wouldn't darken up, but they did--significantly.  Thank the gods I didn't listen.  It left me wondering if our line is different from others. 

Wyandottes drive me  batty, but it's an enjoyable kind of nuts.

After a few seasons of breeding you certainly do get to recognize things in your line. I can sex mine at 4-5 weeks by combs and wattles. But it's important to understand that if you are using this method, to put leg bands on the Roos before they move onto the next stage where all of their wattles Start to become prominent. Feathering comes along later but all of my Roos have been tailless up to 5-6 weeks. So there are a few ways of sexing them , practice makes perfect. :)

Back
Top Bottom