Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

We got our first BLRW! We got them from a breeder who said he's been working on them for 4 years. They are a week and a half old. Any idea what coloration they will end up being?

I am new to wyandottes and have a couple questions regarding my 2 blue laced red 5-week-old chicks...

I ended up with a splash and a black. The black one has blue tips on a lot of her feathers. Is there hope that she will have some blue lacing after all?

Also I want to see what you guys think about the sex of this little one. I've read that wyandottes are especially difficult to sex. I am puzzled by this chick. Wide pink comb, wattles and delayed feathering at 5 weeks says cockerel to me. But it is also smaller in size compared to the others its age and has tiny, dainty little legs. The personality seems very pullet-like to me. I probably need to wait a couple more weeks, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

my boy had very red wattles at 5 weeks, this is him at 3 weeks. he was also flying out of the brooder tub at this time, but he is my first and only Wyandotte. let the experts weigh in!

I am new to wyandottes and have a couple questions regarding my 2 blue laced red 5-week-old chicks...

I ended up with a splash and a black. The black one has blue tips on a lot of her feathers. Is there hope that she will have some blue lacing after all?

Also I want to see what you guys think about the sex of this little one. I've read that wyandottes are especially difficult to sex. I am puzzled by this chick. Wide pink comb, wattles and delayed feathering at 5 weeks says cockerel to me. But it is also smaller in size compared to the others its age and has tiny, dainty little legs. The personality seems very pullet-like to me. I probably need to wait a couple more weeks, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

your black is a blue, and the lighter one may also be a blue, just lighter version. or possibly splash. but sorry to say, I don't think either will have the red needed for good breeders, or decent lacing either, but that may develop a bit more later.

as for sex, the darker one is hard to say at this point but yeah, i'd agree the lighter one is a roo.

this is not aimed at your chicks, i'm sure they will be beautiful and loved, regardless of how they meet the proposed breed standard, but unfortunately there are too many people out there selling blrw that are gold or orangey colored...

the name isn't blue laced gold, or blue laced orange...

9 week update photos! I'm now thinking maybe pullet????? I expected more wattle by now.

3E692B9C-32E3-4370-9E9E-AC11D79586C8-190-0000000CBE57B012.jpg

ED3A86D5-02CA-4A4F-A6C7-7A9A604EE035-190-0000000CB992A32E.jpg

9BC63161-CEF9-4AD5-AFBA-A70AADAC2B83-190-0000000CB4A65C28.jpg

035F95DE-243F-4D0B-8D5C-CC89718C89C8-190-0000000CC33B7806.jpg

We got our first BLRW! We got them from a breeder who said he's been working on them for 4 years. They are a week and a half old. Any idea what coloration they will end up being?
first is a splash, second looks blue. my lovely blue roo had the same head color, all the feathers you see now will be gone and different soon, so its not so easy to tell off of those. but in comparison to my 4 chicks i have, looks like a blue. i tried to load comparison pictures of my two for ya, but its not working right now. check back later.

My 6 weeks old BLRW, Please share your expertise. Blue or Black? Is he a Roo?
hu.gif
the lighting is weird. maybe a black? on its own, by the looks of wattles, possible roo? do you have other blrw? what does the comb and wattles look like next to others (i guess if you have others)? if this one is bigger and redder, cockerel. on second look, the butt fluff looks really dark, like a charcol black color... try posting another picture in mid day, in ambient light rather than direct light.

Back
Top Bottom