Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

So on this subject, obviously someone wouldn't want to buy adult birds from a sick flock. But are hatching eggs from a flock of carriers safe? What about chicks that were hatched in an incubator, ie never came into contact with any of the adult birds?

If they can be carriers and not ill, what is the best way to protect your home flock if you are bringing in new birds, other than just quarantine?
Quarantine:

6 weeks in a different building and you change shoes and cloths and do them last.

Two weeks into the quarantine you add two of your birds to the new birds and observe. You need to destroy the birds if you see any signs of illness (all birds)

Some diseases are transferred threw the egg so hatching eggs are not always safe
Hatched chicks are not always safe
Your best bet is to purchase from breeders you know or that you heard other people have hatched healthy chicks from. They are tested annually. NPIP is not a guarantee either. Nothing is 100%. You can have a perfect flock and no diseases and the mail man can bring something in your yard from 30 miles away.
Don't panic about what may or may not happen.
Most illnesses are going to happen. so breed for resistance. So if it comes on your property.... your flock will treat it like an inconvenience instead of a catastrophe.
Over medicating ..incorrect feeding..lowers resistance
Fresh air..sunshine..exercise..good food including meat good shelter with ventilation..is all a chicken needs to be healthy.

These are just tools

I like them both.. I see why you are concerned with the comb..however he has some qualities that the blue does not have. The black is more developed at this time so assessment against each other is not really fair. I would use the blue and assess chicks Than use the black and assess chicks That is where you will know who to use and what bird will improve on what things that need improving. I would need to see your girls ..one bird might work better for one over the other.. Like if you have splash..I would use the black over them. etc I like them well done..that FF sure has made those feathers shinny and they look so vibrant!!
I am a bit delayed but want to thank you for your response. I LOVE the fermented feed! I really feel like it helps keep my flock healthy and my birds are more robust with better feather quality.
I don't know about high quality but here are a few of mine...
Good looking birds! I would like to reiterate what others posted about the helpfulness of everyone in this thread. I feel like I learn something from you all every time I read the posts. This is a much friendlier place than some of the other breed specific threads. It is refreshing to see so much support!

I still want opinions on some of the pullets that I have growing out, but I haven't found the time to sit down at the computer and upload photos from my camera. I do have a couple of photos that I took on my phone yesterday. I only kept 2 splash chicks because I really did not intend to keep any for my breeding program. I am definitely selling the first one for a layer because her lacing and color aren't great and she is much smaller than the other pullets her age. The jury is out on the second girl. I have some much better photos of her on the camera. I love her head.

First girl

2nd girl - her yellow legs are covered in mud. :)

Thanks to everyone for posting pictures of their BLR birds. These birds are just straight stunning. I recently bought a BLR hen from a friend. He has no roo to compliment or breed to her. She is fairly light in color but I still think she is gorgeous. I live in the central valley of california. Winton to be exact. Is there anyone that is close to the central valley that might have a spare rooster for sale? If you or anyone you know might have a BLR rooster for sale let me know.

If I cant find any BLR wyandotte rooster to breed to her, what should i breed her to? To get the closest to the BLR pattern and colors

Thanks to everyone for posting pictures of their BLR birds. These birds are just straight stunning. I recently bought a BLR hen from a friend. He has no roo to compliment or breed to her. She is fairly light in color but I still think she is gorgeous. I live in the central valley of california. Winton to be exact. Is there anyone that is close to the central valley that might have a spare rooster for sale? If you or anyone you know might have a BLR rooster for sale let me know. To bad you aren't in Southern California, I have a handful of BLRW chicks that look like they are Roos! If I cant find any BLR wyandotte rooster to breed to her, what should i breed her to? To get the closest to the BLR pattern and colors

Thanks to everyone for posting pictures of their BLR birds. These birds are just straight stunning. I recently bought a BLR hen from a friend. He has no roo to compliment or breed to her. She is fairly light in color but I still think she is gorgeous. I live in the central valley of california. Winton to be exact. Is there anyone that is close to the central valley that might have a spare rooster for sale? If you or anyone you know might have a BLR rooster for sale let me know. If I cant find any BLR wyandotte rooster to breed to her, what should i breed her to? To get the closest to the BLR pattern and colors
I wish you were in Southern California, I have a handful of BLRW that look to be Roos!

Thanks to everyone for posting pictures of their BLR birds. These birds are just straight stunning. I recently bought a BLR hen from a friend. He has no roo to compliment or breed to her. She is fairly light in color but I still think she is gorgeous. I live in the central valley of california. Winton to be exact. Is there anyone that is close to the central valley that might have a spare rooster for sale? If you or anyone you know might have a BLR rooster for sale let me know.

If I cant find any BLR wyandotte rooster to breed to her, what should i breed her to? To get the closest to the BLR pattern and colors
honestly, she is already too light (orange not red) IMO to NOT breed to a good blrw. if you want to work on gold laced then by all means breed her to a gold laced roo, but you won't have any with the deep mahogany red needed.

maybe you can work a deal with someone to get a nice dark red boy to work with. a black laced deep mahogany would pair nicely with her *if he's got good type too* and produce all blue laced offspring.

I am interested in buying 2 dozens of good quality BLRW hatching eggs. Does anyone have recommendations? Thank you in advance!

I like this pullet, but she has the lightest color of all of them. She may be destined for a layer.

I would use this bird over the splash..your instincts are spot on!! It is much easier to darken that red than to remove that white.
Your splash have a white ring around the neck and it is difficult to remove . They are both beautiful.
It really depends on what your goals are..If your intentions is to bred tword the best...do not use the white rings. You will be beating your head against the wall 5 years down the road still trying to get it out. It is pretty..and nothing wrong with having a few on the side for egg layers..they are so beautiful..I love them..I just don't keep them.

Back
Top Bottom