Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

3 weeks old tomorrow

Looks like it may be blue. I had 2 like that last year and they ended up being the only 2 blues I had! the other one that is more tan, that is what my blacks looked like.. but they were a little darker.. they didnt have any of the grey fuzz..
thats not easy to see.. but the 2 in the middle are my blues... the guy laying by the wall is my black roo... and the 2 lighter ones...you can just see the back and head of them.. are splash hens...ignore the black and tan chicks...they arent wyandotte at all...i will see if I have better pics if yo uwant. that is the only chick pic i have here...

Quote:
I think your pullet/hen for him is on the light side too. Both need a good dose of Mahogany genes.

that seems to be a problem for a lot of the bantam blrw. mine's pretty dark compared to a lot i've seen, but he could still stand to be darker.
his hackles are also a bit lighter than I'd like to see, but he's the only bantam I have at the moment...
I kept meaning to buy some girls for him but the financing keeps being a problem...
(the pic is lighter than he actually is, the roo behind him, here's a better pic for comparison)

please forgive the juvenile moult. LOL he was a mess at that time but feathering (and lacing) has improved since then. but this pic was taken the same day as Smee's was (you can see the same funky laced feathers on Shim's back in the first pic)

I can finally post pictures! I just want to share a few of the ones I hatched the end of last may. These guys are about 9.5 months old. :) There are 2 different roos, a blue (Turtle) and a black (Reese). (actually, this was christmas day, so they are only 7.5 months...)

Last edited:
I've got a question about blrw chick feather colors. Are the feathering wings of a chick an accurate way to tell what color they will grow out as? Or can that change as they grow? I assume this chick will grow out with black lacing? Feedback would be great. Thanks.

I've got a question about blrw chick feather colors. Are the feathering wings of a chick an accurate way to tell what color they will grow out as? Or can that change as they grow? I assume this chick will grow out with black lacing? Feedback would be great. Thanks.
It's normal for their chick wings to look almost barred, it's not indicative of their final feathering. I think I was able to see the start of lacing around 5 weeks old...
Any guesses whether this will be blue or black? He or she was born 3/10/14.
I think that's a Blue
big_smile.png
congrats!

LOVE all the photos ya'll!!!

One of my BLRW boys CROWED for the first time today! Ha it caught me by surprise, I saw it startle the whole flock too, they didn't know what was going on hahaha
I'm sure crowing will get annoying eventually, but for now, I'm just smitten
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom