Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
100% roo The BLR are pretty easy to tell from a rather young age...unless you have a poor quality that's not going to lace correctly.I hatched out a bunch of swirls from a "breeder" on here and those were tougher not that it mattered they were not welcome to stay here

I kind of hope it is a roo, as all of the other BLRs are definitely pullets. He doesn't have the best lacing, but that could be because I was looking at his back. Now that I know the cockerels don't have great lacing on their backs at this age, I'll go out and verify the rest of them. The SLWs are so easy to tell compared to these!

I have no idea about the light colored shafting in BLRW but I know that when I was working on Barnevelders that it was a big no-no. I haven't gotten into the BLRW very much other than raising a few chicks for the past year. I can't keep chicks around long enough to see how many turn out other than my Jerry Foley birds and they don;t have light shafts. I haven't noticed on the chicks that I have hatched from my Buddy Henry roo over my PQ hens but again, they don;t stay long enough either.

Wish I could help and I will be interested in the answer.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know the standard for Golden Laced Wyandottes? Do they mention light shafts? I have enough to go without using the light shaft birds, but some of them have the brighter yellow legs...
hmm.png

Does this BLR in front look like a roo or a pullet ? I'm thinking it's a roo but it hasn't started crowing yet !
The BLR in the back looks like a pullet ... what do you think ? and what kind of coloring is that called ?

70988_2011_july30_015cut.jpg

Oh yeah! Roo i n front pullet in back. Nice yellow legs!
I like his blue coloring! Not splash but a light blue, purdy!

Last edited:
Now I can definitely tell the roo from the pullet there! There is the coloring on the saddle feathers and the wattles and comb to help me out. Mine don't look like that until almost 6 months old.
Gorgeous blue on your roo!

Back
Top Bottom