Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
Quote:
No they are not Batams, I have 3 BLRs looks like 2 are pullets, and one is a roo, these are the pullets in this picture along with my
SL roo. One pullet the buff is smaller than the other.

70988_2011_july24_042cut.jpg

Clint

UPDATE!
wee.gif
I got a breeding flock of 11 yesterday. They are 18 months old. It's a mix of blue & splash. They were chicks bought directly from The Foley's & Paul's Poultry. Will get pics for you guys & gals this afternoon, hopefully. I also have 2 young (3 mo. old) cockerels, 1 blue & 1 splash. There are some hens that the lacing isn't the best but they have good type, others have GREAT lacing and ok type. The roos have great color and type!
big_smile.png

Will hopefully start hatching some birds in the next month or so!!
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
clap.gif

You guys have helped me so much! I went out last night and looked at my BLR birds again. Of my six, I have four pullets and two cockerels. They're just not as obvious as the SL at the same age. The one I linked to, the lighter blue, isn't as good as the other one, who's a gorgeous dark mahogany and black. It's too early to cull, but I'm leaning toward the darker one. Of course, I don't have a decent photo of that one.

Quote:
Having the good dark mahogany gene in your BLRW will really help to eliminate the light colored shafting in your birds. I wont use birds showing the shafting as my breeders, but I grow out a lot of young birds to come up with my breeders....its what makes good BLRW so tough to raise....you are breeding for good color and good type..tough combination to achieve.

Jerry

They are all laced. What I was saying is that some of the birds lacing isn't as good as the other birds. But all are are either blue or splash laced wyandottes. Make sense?
smile.png

A question for Jerry. Are the Blue Wyandottes easier to raise for type & color than the BLRs?
My friend and I were thinking of going to straight blues instead of the BLRs because of the difficulty getting good type & color in the BLRs.

Quote:
No they are not Batams, I have 3 BLRs looks like 2 are pullets, and one is a roo, these are the pullets in this picture along with my

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/70988_2011_july24_042cut.jpg

Clint

Nice birds. The pullet on the right is a splash blr... call her a buff and wyandotte people will scratch their heads in confusion:idunno

If I hatch eggs from a splash BLR hen & a normal color cockerel... what colors can I expect ... ??

Thanks for clarifying for me
smile.png

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/70988_2011_july24_042cut.jpg

Clint

Nice birds. The pullet on the right is a splash blr... call her a buff and wyandotte people will scratch their heads in confusion:idunno

Back
Top Bottom