Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
I appreciate that offer. I am lucky to live just down the road from a great BYC member who breeds these and I am all too happy to take the singles off her hands. She gets a few dollars back, I get some layers and meat for the freezer...its a win win:D

Here is a few picks of my BLRWs. 4 of them are 8 weeks, 4 are 10 weeks.

Hen 8 weeks
93129_dsc00231.jpg

Hen 8 weeks
93129_dsc00228.jpg

3 10 week Hens
93129_dsc00226.jpg

Hen, I hope, 8 weeks, darkest blue
93129_dsc00214.jpg

10 week, Rooster ?
93129_dsc00206.jpg

For those in the know. let me know what you think color wise. These are all from the same rooster, withn 3 different hens. The mother hens were very light colored, maybe even splash. I was hoping that they would grow out darker.

Can any experts chime in with any clues they might know of to determine if you have a dark splash or a light blue? I was convinced my flock was 100% splash, but one of my hens is throwing blue babies, so she must be blue! I've heard that with splash roo's, their tail feathers are light and dark. What about a blue roo? What are their tail feathers like? Any clues on the hens?

Quote:
I have an interest in this, too, because one of the pullets I have from your line (not the snarky little one, she has black marks in her tail feathers) could be a light blue.

teamsunbelt, that second 8 week old hen looks like a cockerel to me, based on what I just learned about cockerels in this color having poorer lacing on the backs at this age. And it looks like it's getting saddle feathers. Mine didn't become obvious until at least 12 weeks.

Quote:
It may be. I am only sure about one, but it is based off the comb and waddels. I have my worries about 1 or two more. I am hoping to find a couple more hens, especially in the darker color to add in.

What do you think color wise? Or is it too young?

Second one is a rooster not a hen and unless that picture of the 8 week old darkest blue is really blurry it won't be laying eggs either.None are really dark enough red either.
If you want dark blue breed blue to blue.If your blue has any splashes no matter what shade the blue it's a splash or a poor blue.
Here is my young rooster.He has a lot of filling out left to do in the picture.In the body shot he was getting ready to say hi to the World..or at least the neighbors so he was more stretched and upright than he would normally be.He's beautifully laced but they don't show up in the picture well
he.gif

EasterBDChicks144.jpg

EasterBDChicks145.jpg

Splash roo tail..he's been sold since he's too light in his saddle and hackles for me here
Christmasandbirds440.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

Thanks.

Your rooster is the color I am very fond of. These 8 came from a local small breeder, nothing big, and I am sure they have not worked on there line. I was trying to find some of these around to get started with when I came across these, and at a very good price. I would love to find some darker ones to add in, especially around the same age, but no luck yet. I may go look at a couple more this week, but not sure of the coloring.

I plan on keeping the best Rooster of the bunch, and all of the hens.

Do you have any pictures of your at about the same age?

And, the camera is not all that good with these moving chicks. Maybe I can get some better shots soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom