Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
We still have hatching eggs available. Please check out my auction or PM me if interested. Thanks.
wink.png

You can check out our birds on my weebly.com at the bottom of my signature.

Can I ask a question? I want to pick your brains! So the 3 lighter chicks will be splashes? And how old will the chicks be before you can tell the difference between the black and blue

Me too?! I just got three from the hatchery today. I've been wanting BLRW forever, had to order these in January to even get them! But, I am confused on their coloration. One is a yellow-buff color with no markings, one is in between....a mix of pale reddish and grayish fluff, and one is pale reddish with a pale gray down back of head and back. When I checked on the website, I understood the miix of splash, blue and black... but I'd assumed the pale buff would be the splash, and then blue laced red and black laced red, but when I look at the above post it makes me wonder all over again what I've got

Me too?! I just got three from the hatchery today. I've been wanting BLRW forever, had to order these in January to even get them! But, I am confused on their coloration. One is a yellow-buff color with no markings, one is in between....a mix of pale reddish and grayish fluff, and one is pale reddish with a pale gray down back of head and back. When I checked on the website, I understood the miix of splash, blue and black... but I'd assumed the pale buff would be the splash, and then blue laced red and black laced red, but when I look at the above post it makes me wonder all over again what I've got

The hatcheries do not really breed for the correct color from what I have seen. They are often a really pale grey and buff color with very little lacing. This is common of hatcheries. Each year that they continue to breed (for the most part) they get lighter and lighter. The only way to darken up the line is to bring in Black Laced Red Wyandottes which they do not get often if their pool keeps getting lighter.

Us breeders work to eliminate the splashes in our breeding stock because they only lighten your line.

You can tell what color they will be as soon as they hatch. There is a color variance which shows you that you have splash, blue or black. Dark blues and blacks can be similar but still have differences.

My first (well ones I get to keep anyway) BLRW are in Lockdown 7/9 made it this far
fl.gif
the next batch is 2 weeks behind these. I see a problem in my future .... I need more pens
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom