Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
Say I have a show question. Our small town fair is coming up. Can BLR's be shown in open clas? My kids arent in 4H but will be soon. And they asked if we could show our birds this year. I noticed there was a 3 pullet open class and thought that might work. What do I need to know as a beginner before we even attempt this?

I have BLRW hatching Eggs for sale, in the classifieds.
wink.png

Thanks for those pictures. I just hatched 4. My first time, and their coloring was completely different. I got on here to try and solve the puzzle. Looks like I have 2 blue and two black. Thanks again. Are there any clues to the male/female situation early on? ( I am only at day 3). How early can I start to figure that one out?

I have a question about my 16 week old BLRW cockerel. I thought he was black laced red, but in the last 2 weeks some of the black on lower feathers has lightened into a very dark blue. I'm trying to decided which roo to keep, and I'd like a blue roo. Is it true that a black laced red chicken will not have any blue feathers? Is he just a dark blue laced red? I'm so confused. He's much darker than my other blues. Here's a pic...

Wow, he is beautiful! And he is a "Blue" laced red. The black laced are black with no hint of blue.

Here is one of my black laced red rooster chicks for comparison~ He is still at that gawky, sort of unattractive stage right now
lol.png

I have a question about my 16 week old BLRW cockerel. I thought he was black laced red, but in the last 2 weeks some of the black on lower feathers has lightened into a very dark blue. I'm trying to decided which roo to keep, and I'd like a blue roo. Is it true that a black laced red chicken will not have any blue feathers? Is he just a dark blue laced red? I'm so confused. He's much darker than my other blues. Here's a pic...

Last edited:
He is one gorgeous blue!

BroosterSpringsteen & Chickee: Beautiful colored boys. Here's a few pic's of my 4 boys & girls. I believe I have a Black Lace roo & a Blue Lace roo & pullet & of course the Golden Lace Pullet. These are the 1st Dottes I've ever had I just love their coloring!

Blue comes in all shades. One of my other cockeral is a little darker then yours.
Breed him to a blue hen and you should have a goodd range of of darker blue.

Yes, I already have his first girlfriend all picked out.
lol.png
She is a lovely blue hen, quite a bit lighter than this fellow, but really striking. I can hardly wait for her to start laying. She went through a terrible awkward stage, and her color as a chick was all muddled and weird. I was even convinced for a couple of weeks that she wasn't a BLRW at all. But then her adult feathers started coming in, and all of a sudden she was the most beautiful chicken in the flock. Sometimes you just never know..

Back
Top Bottom