Blue Splash Maran not Growing

Lynnsacres

Chirping
Jun 15, 2021
Hello All, I ordered nine chicks form Myer Hatchery. My Blue Splash Maran is not growing. She is the tiniest little thing. All other eight chick have doubled in size. the are running around, butting chests, flying as much as they can but the Maran is small just sleeps. She does walk to get food and water. They are 3 weeks old.

My 3 week old Jubilee Orpington is her guardian. Her and the Buff Brahma sit with her all day and keep her warm and safe. No other chicks hurt her or pick on her. They are crazy kids and leave her alone or sit with her. She will come out of the brooder and eat and drink, she watches the others do there crazy things and then she runs back in the brooder. She is always laying down. Any ideas? I guess she is mentally challenged and may not survive. She grew some of her feathers her tail and wings. I will post a picture.
IMG_8664 2.JPG
IMG_8666D.JPG

My neighbor called her daughter in-law who is a vet. she said if she is eating, drinking and walks to the feeder let her be. At least she has three chicks watching her and cuddle with her. Too cute to see how tiny she is. Her feathers are growing. We will see. I can keep you posted if you like.

She is still tiny. But follows the big girls and for the first time made it up the ramp to the coop last night. I was having to put her there. The others tried to show her so many times. She is about 3 to4 inches now she eats drinks and preens herself. She walks very funny and then sits. It is amazing how the girls did and still do keep her save and warm. She has been accepted very kindly.

I have an Orpington chick that is tiny like that. I keep moving her to the new batch of chicks and she nannies them. I started feeding her about a tablespoon of mealworms twice a day and she started sprouting feathers. Now she is growing but her hatch mates are 3 times her size.

Back
Top Bottom