Bobwhite Snowflake quails...boys or girls?

Just to update anyone who is interested, all 3 turned out to be boys 🤦‍♀️ still all living together though with a bit of squabbling now and then but nothing serious thankfully. No quail eggs for me!

Just to update anyone who is interested, all 3 turned out to be boys 🤦‍♀️ still all living together though with a bit of squabbling now and then but nothing serious thankfully. No quail eggs for me!
The only one that I could tell for sure was the bird in the middle :confused:
I guess they needed another week or two to be able to see their adult plumage. The other two in the pic sure looked like females!
That's definitely a male in your profile pic!

Last edited:
The only one that I could tell for sure was the bird in the middle :confused:
I guess they needed another week or two to be able to see their adult plumage. The other two in the pic sure looked like females!
That's definitely a male in your profile pic!
Appreciate it isn't easy from a single photo! Do you think they'll be OK to live together as a bachelor trio? They have a 3ftx6ft full height run, wanted to make sure they had space to escape any bickering!

Appreciate it isn't easy from a single photo! Do you think they'll be OK to live together as a bachelor trio? They have a 3ftx6ft full height run, wanted to make sure they had space to escape any bickering!
They should do fine. I have a pair of males in a 180 sq.ft. enclosure, doing just fine, added another male last week, (about 7 weeks old) there has been no problems. The one male that brooded his chicks last year, has taken up with the 'new male'....like it was his chick? I don't exactly understand this behavior, other than he thinks it was just gone for awhile and just showed back up??? The chick tries to get under the male, like he would a broody hen, the male just gentle pecks at him to let him know that he's too big to do that....it's pretty funny to watch! :idunno

I'll be introducing the bunch I just hatched out as soon as they are ready to go outside, to the same enclosure, it will include both males and females. I'll have around 25 birds in the pen.

Males do good for me together as long as they can't see a female.I raise them all together and they breed and everything but once they hit a year old if they have a hen they will kill each other.I am moving a mixed batch into a bigger pen today.Reds,whites,snowflakes ,silvers and speckles.

Back
Top Bottom