Bobwhites dying

Cluckyz

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2022
I just picked up some bobwhites a few days ago, 4 trios. I have had them in wire cages (2wx4lx2h) each trio while i finish their flight cages. 5 have died over the course of two days! Their poop looks normal, they arent underweight, and eating and drinking just fine. They are about 16weeks old is what i was told i am feeding them Kalmabach wild flush grower at 18%. Any insight would be appreciated.

I hope that you aren’t dealing with a quail disease, but you said the remaining quail are fine. I raise Northern Bobwhites and Jumbo Wisconsin Bobwhites. I feed them only 30% game bird feed. I also offer crushed oyster shell for the hens and a mix of seeds plus small bird grit and greens. Bobwhites can simply die from stress. That’s perhaps what’s happened. Consider an issue with a big temperature fluctuation as well. Keep us updated. Good wishes for your new bobwhites! 😊

If I'm reading right, the wire cages are 2' high? That's just high enough for them to get up to full speed if they flush and break their necks on the roof of the cage. The general rule is very short (12-16") or very tall (6' or more) to prevent this.

Is it possible that this is what is happening? Are their necks floppy when you pick up the dead birds?

If you still aren't sure, you could send one in to your state's necropsy lab to make sure it isn't disease.

If I'm reading right, the wire cages are 2' high? That's just high enough for them to get up to full speed if they flush and break their necks on the roof of the cage. The general rule is very short (12-16") or very tall (6' or more) to prevent this.

Is it possible that this is what is happening? Are their necks floppy when you pick up the dead birds?

If you still aren't sure, you could send one in to your state's necropsy lab to make sure it isn't disease.
i 2nd this, i had an issue years ago with quails getting spooked and flying up and breaking their necks

Necks not floppy. Two died in a sleeping position the other three were on their side legs stretched out.

Necks not floppy. Two died in a sleeping position the other three were on their side legs stretched out.
Has it been below freezing temps? Do they have shelter from wind? Are they dry?

I'm just guessing at this point. They can handle very cold weather as long as they are dry, out of the wind, and can keep their feet warm.

I would recommend sending a dead one to your state necropsy lab. It isn't too expensive to get some tests done.

https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/poultry-necropsy-labs/

Has it been below freezing temps? Do they have shelter from wind? Are they dry?

I'm just guessing at this point. They can handle very cold weather as long as they are dry, out of the wind, and can keep their feet warm.

I would recommend sending a dead one to your state necropsy lab. It isn't too expensive to get some tests done.

https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/poultry-necropsy-labs/
They are in my barn which is not heated but they are protected from the elements, we haven't gotten below freezing yet.

other then that, i'd say contact the breeder and maybe see about replacements.

Quail are cheap, while raising 100's at a time i found it easiest to just cull and restart sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom