Bone Meal

FrankBlissett

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
The only bone meal I can find around here is sold in the garden section. Is that okay for animal use. Far as I can tell it's not adulterated - no other ingredents listed.

-Frank

What do you use bone meal for? I'm well aware of its use in gardening, but how does it work in chickening?
smile.png

I would assume you could use it no problem. I make my home made garden fertilizer here (seed meal, bone meal, kelp meal and lime) so I always have bone meal laying around. I should add it into their oyster shell and see if they eat it or pick around it. My guess is it's absolutely fine for them.

For those that don't know, bone meal (either steamed or raw) is a fabulous source of calcium for your plants and animals. Chickens are omnivores, so don't feel any shame. A large part of why chickens eat bugs, insects and beatles is to get their protein and minerals. They are a great source of calcium for your birds.

I use bone meal & cotton seed meal in my compost but never thought about giving it to the chickens.

I would have thought it would be better to feed them egg shells because it should be easier to absorb since it came from chickens in the first place.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I'm not Diana, but can answer your question. Many feeds today are "marketed" as free of meat and bone meal because of the mad cow scare. That is how the disease was spread in Europe. Infected animals were rendered into meat and bone meal which was then fed to others resulting in spread of the disease.
Bone meal is not a good source of protein but is a good source of calcium supplementation.

http://www.ingredients101.com/bmsteamed.htm

Wow - lots of posts!

Yes, I've heard of it used as a suppliment and was wondering. We currently do use egg shells for our two turkey hens, and free-feed oyster shells to the laying hens. I'd be interested to know if bone meal is better or worse than either of these though.

-Frank

Back
Top Bottom