Braggs Mountain Buffs

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I checked this post. Wanted to tell you I did received my 100 chicks and all were shipped healthy. The birds grow really slow but are doing well. I spoke with David the owner and he is very determined to make this breed thrive and produce a quality jumbo egg. I have attached a letter he has sent to me and asked to share. http://loudounberryfarm.com/davis_bmb.pdf

They do go broody but not as bad as my Marans. Most eggs are large, but not all lay the larger eggs. I have photos of a young pair I am selling here: http://www.findpoultry.com/pair-of-braggs-mountain-buffs-2/

I will try to answer any questions if you have them. Thanks, Jeff

Last edited:
I purchased 25 just last month. They arrived safe, well packaged, with one extra bird. They all seem to be growing and doing wonderful. I had no problems, communication was great and the fellow on the phone has a wonderful Texan accent!!! So far, so good!

As an update to this...the Braggs mountain buffs have weathered our NYS winter just fine. They are friendly birds, much like my Orpingtons. They started laying back in January and egg size is still not overly impressive. I have some jersey Giants and some marans that lay just as large an egg. I ended up with 12 hens out of 26 chicks. I guess I would have to say I am somewhat disappointed...considering the price, and the number of birds I had to purchase, the jersey Giants do just as well egg size.

I found this thread while researching the breed because i received an egg as a surprise rare breed egg in an order of hatching eggs i bought from a farm in TN. Its in the incubator now cant wait to see if it hatches and if it does i am kind of hoping for a roo

I have 13 Braggs Mountain Buffs that I bought from the man in Whitney, TX (near Waco) in September of 2014. He caged the hens and met me halfway, so I didn't get a look at his place, but the hens were in really rough shape when I got them. He said they were molting. I knew absolutely nothing about chickens except what little I had googled while building a coop and getting ready to get some chickens, and, unfortunately, I had let him know that. He said the chickens were under 2 years old, but I believe he sold me his older hens. At first they wouldn't roost or use the nesting boxes, and now they will roost, but only use the lower level nesting boxes. It took me several months to get them looking decent because the larger ones picked on the smaller ones, but they finally seem to have quit that for the most part. The most I've ever gotten out of them was 11 eggs in a day, but usually more like 7-8. For the last few months, they've only produced 2-3 eggs a day. The eggs are varying shades of brown, and they are large, often too large to fit in the egg carton, and they have a very firm, dark yellow yolk.

I'm not ready to give up on the breed yet. I got them because they are supposed to be good for meat and large eggs. Haven't tried the meat yet, but the eggs are great! I'd like to get a BMB rooster and hatch some chicks to see if I have better egg production out of younger hens, but, once again, I'll have to google it to find out how to do that. :) First I need to figure out which hens are laying and cull out some of the others.

I've read (on this site) that some people got BMB roosters that were infertile... So, any suggestions as to how I go about getting a Braggs Mountain Buff rooster that is fertile?

As an update to this...the Braggs mountain buffs have weathered our NYS winter just fine. They are friendly birds, much like my Orpingtons. They started laying back in January and egg size is still not overly impressive. I have some jersey Giants and some marans that lay just as large an egg. I ended up with 12 hens out of 26 chicks. I guess I would have to say I am somewhat disappointed...considering the price, and the number of birds I had to purchase, the jersey Giants do just as well egg size.

How are they doing for you after a year and a bit?

I actually work for the guy that developed this breed. These are probably the best chicken I have ever seen, they are a big body bird a lot of muscle beautiful feathers. They make jumbo eggs an every once in awhile they will have a white chick.

I just received a gift of 5 Buff Orpingtons and 1 BMB roo to add to my flock. They are from a nice gentleman giving up all his chickens due to personal reasons. The roo is 8 months old and HUGE, very healthy and already quite interested in the hens just a few minutes after releasing into the run. I'm hoping they all get along well with my other girls and he isn't to aggressive with them. Looking forward to eggs and hopefully chicks in the spring. Will add updates as things progress.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom