Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. Wish that didn't happen, but I guess the almighty dollar always wins out. Of course some of that fault is on the buyer, but most is on the seller, if you really want to promote the breed, make it affordable, especially to young people.

The best thing buyers can do, especially if new to a breed can do is buy the Standard of Perfection, memorize it, study it, live your poultry life by it.

Edit: Now I'm all nostalgic about Brahmas Does anyone know if Elysian Meadows- John and Bev Tenneson are still around and breeding Dark Brahmas?

Last edited:
Quote:
I would love to find someone that didn't try and charge you for "show quality" when the birds are clearly pet quality. I can't afford to pay 50 bucks per grown hen. It's truly sad that someone my age that wants to help better a breed but can't because of the amount people think their birds are worth.

Show up to local shows and make connections, and don't just show up, help out. Volunteer to help set up or tear down. Show you're serious about the hobby and it pays off eventually.

Some of the best birds I ever owned and bred from were given to me. It's the whole time and money thing. Also you have to find someone that is really dedicated to promoting their breed. My start in Light Brahmas back in the day was given to me, with the caveat that I return the favor and give a nice trio to someone else the following year (which I did and they didn't stick with for very long, but the point was it was tried) so as to try and spread the breed. EDIT: this was a tactic I used later with many of my breeds, especially where youth or beginners were concerned. These days I might make a contract out of it, both to hold the new person accountable an also to see where breeds went in case I needed to get those lines back some day for whatever reason

Last edited:
I would love to find someone that didn't try and charge you for "show quality" when the birds are clearly pet quality. I can't afford to pay 50 bucks per grown hen. It's truly sad that someone my age that wants to help better a breed but can't because of the amount people think their birds are worth.
You want to help better a breed? What, pray tell, do you think quality is worth? I give plenty of birds and eggs away AFTER I see someone is really interested. Do you have ANY idea of the work and expense that goes in to producing quality birds? If you want to be the best, you have to work the hardest. I doubt high quality birds will magically appear at your doorstep with no work or EXPENSE on your part. Come on man.

Tim

50 is not a bad price i know a guy you would not touch a bird for less then 100.00 and they are worth it!!! what goes into raising a hen and selling it for 50.00 ??? step #1 well first you have to buy good breeders 50 or 100 dollars each step # 2 then feed them till spring to get eggs to hatch .step #3 buy a good incubator.step #4 electricity to hatch the eggs. step # 5 heat lamps feeder feed and waters wormers and vitamins and space to raise them step # 6 feed and water buy bedding clean pens cull heavy for a year. then sell the bird for less then 50.00 would you ?? could you afford to do this ??? lets be real if you cant afford to pay fifty dollars for show quality bird . then you probably wont be able afford to raise show quality birds and pay entry fees to show them anyways sorry not trying to offend just stating the truth P.S how much is a year of your lifes work worth ??? thanks john w.

Honestly I would have a hard time spending $50 on a chicken. The most I have spent on a bird was $35 on a light brahma hen from Kim and Kendra Aldrich. I also have light hens from I think his name is Dave Burchett and they were only $60 for the four. His buff brahma won just about everything it could at the Ohio National and he sold it for $250 at the previous Ohio National. This just goes to show that if you take your time searching for birds you can get them at good prices while still getting a show quality bird.

Th
Honestly I would have a hard time spending $50 on a chicken. The most I have spent on a bird was $35 on a light brahma hen from Kim and Kendra Aldrich. I also have light hens from I think his name is Dave Burchett and they were only $60 for the four. His buff brahma won just about everything it could at the Ohio National and he sold it for $250 at the previous Ohio National. This just goes to show that if you take your time searching for birds you can get them at good prices while still getting a show quality bird.

This is my point, plus do the work and volunteer for local clubs and shows to show people you're serious. Don't expect charity but hard work and patience pay off. I also would have a hard time paying $50 for a bird, yes I know how much it takes to raise them. But if you're raising chickens to make money then you're in the wrong hobby. But it does matter on the buyer. Same bird but one person that wants it is a long timer with lots of breeds, buys and sells with the wind change? Yeah he's gonna pay $50-$100 or more to buy that bird if its worth it. Some kid that's been stuck with hatchery stuff for a couple years and does well in showmanship and always helps everyone out, always goes to the regular shows and is really into it? Here take it, or $5 or whatever.

It's up to the individual, and it's a fine line but as a breeder, if you really want to promote your breed, and promote poultry in general, sometimes it's us (well me in my poultry past and near future) that need to make the financial sacrifice so that the fancy and our breed can continue to thrive.

But buyers, again, don't expect charity, prove that you're into it. Prove through sweat and time that you aren't just trying to take advantage of someone. Get involved as much as you can as often as you can.

I think I've babbled enough on the topic so I'll go back to lurkin this thread (until I need more advice with my dark bantams or find some decent large fowl again)

Honestly I would have a hard time spending $50 on a chicken. The most I have spent on a bird was $35 on a light brahma hen from Kim and Kendra Aldrich. I also have light hens from I think his name is Dave Burchett and they were only $60 for the four. His buff brahma won just about everything it could at the Ohio National and he sold it for $250 at the previous Ohio National. This just goes to show that if you take your time searching for birds you can get them at good prices while still getting a show quality bird.
Entirely different. Most are willing to help a young man, such as yourself, with reduced prices or out and out free birds. My issue is with a grown man, not willing to pay the price for quality. Dave, Kim and Kendra were being kind helping a young man get started.

True very true. Another breeder that raises brahmas that I was talking to who helped me out a ton this last year told me that generally $50 is about the minimum you can expect to pay for a bird like a brahma. She also was nice enough to give me a light brahma cockerel. Although the dumb thing killed its self by being a chicken. Fixed that problem after I figured out what went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom