Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Does anyone have any Breda eggs for sale? I had a trio and the rooster was so mean that we ended up culling him. Then I sold the two hens to a neighbor and a raccoon ate them. Now that I've got the coop space, I'd like to try again....I'm setting eggs this weekend but if they're not available before then, I could wait until my next hatch which will be in April or May.

Thanks!

Just stopping in to say hello, we have a 10 eggs in the incubator that go in to the hatcher saturday,
fl.gif
we are praying for a good hatch. Looking forward to having a new breed, like we need another but they are so cute. We currently have over 20 breeds ranging from day old to 3 year olds on site. WOW I think we are insane.
gig.gif

I love my Breda and can't wait until they start laying. They are much smaller than I thought they would be, but ever so friendly and chill.

I'm sure I have one pullet and one cockerel but I'm not so sure about the third. That one is big like the cockerel and has large wattles, but no male saddle feathers like the one I'm sure is male. Here's a picture of the trio. Cockerel is to the left, the pullet is in front on the right, questionable one behind her. Any guesses?

And the cockerl posing much better. What a handsome boy!

Unfortunately I lost the blue pullet. She left the guarded (by Maremma) pasture and was taken by something. Not happy :( Going to order more of these chickens from GF if I can't find any hatching eggs.

I love my Breda and can't wait until they start laying. They are much smaller than I thought they would be, but ever so friendly and chill.

I'm sure I have one pullet and one cockerel but I'm not so sure about the third. That one is big like the cockerel and has large wattles, but no male saddle feathers like the one I'm sure is male. Here's a picture of the trio. Cockerel is to the left, the pullet is in front on the right, questionable one behind her. Any guesses?

And the cockerl posing much better. What a handsome boy!

Unfortunately I lost the blue pullet. She left the guarded (by Maremma) pasture and was taken by something. Not happy :( Going to order more of these chickens from GF if I can't find any hatching eggs.
Lovely birds! You have two cockerels, and one pullet.

I just got our first egg two days ago! I hope to offer some hatching eggs as soon as they get rolling. Our pen is a Splash rooster over Blue & Black Hens. So all the chicks would hatch blue and splash.

Just stopping in to say hello, we have a 10 eggs in the incubator that go in to the hatcher saturday,
fl.gif
we are praying for a good hatch. Looking forward to having a new breed, like we need another but they are so cute. We currently have over 20 breeds ranging from day old to 3 year olds on site. WOW I think we are insane.
gig.gif
Around here...I think you are pretty normal.
lau.gif

Good luck with your hatch!

Finally got my first egg! I was starting to wonder if my girls were laying brown eggs but I found this this morning.

Now to move them to their own place!

I have 12 wiggly embryos from shipped eggs and a new connection close by who is also owning and hatching bredas!

How old are the pullets who just started laying? I would have to check my laying records, but I think mine were around 35-37 weeks old before I got my first egg.

They hatched last spring. I checked back through the posts and they hatched 5/2/12. My cream Legbars are just getting going now after taking the winter months off. I have iights in the coop but maybe the Bredas are more natural light sensitive.

Last edited:
Oops, I was off a month. My hatch 5/5/12 and I was counting from 4/5/12. So mine would about 31-32 weeks old when they started laying and just three days younger than yours. I don't use lights but they started laying in December all the same. I hatched February and March and I am hoping that with the earlier hatch this year that I don't run into winter months to slow the time to the first egg again.

Last edited:
Howdy folks-

Like a few of you, we also got a handful of day-old Breda chicks in a shipment of Birchen Marans from Greenfire last spring. The crazy thing is that we didn't even order the Marans, they sent them to us by accident and we got to keep them. That was in late May. We had two blue and three black Breda. One of the blues got injured and died as a youngster, the three black ones turned out to be cockerels. We can't have any more roosters than absolutely necessary around here, and since we didn't have plans to keep breeding these, we packed them off to freezer camp. But we did keep the one blue hen and I'm glad we did, as I am actually very interested in small-bodied birds that lay decent sized eggs.

Since we don't have another Breda to breed her with she is in with our bantam Blue Salmon Faverolles rooster. I have put of few of the eggs into the incubator just for kicks and the first three are due to hatch next Tuesday. I am new to breeding chickens and have no idea what to expect from a cross like this. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom