Breda Fowl thread

Pics
no idea what to expect- but one of the reasons i got bredas in the first place (well bought them- still haven't received them) was to cross them to both a turken and an upright gamefowl of some type shamo or maylay or something in an attempt to create a "vulture" looking chicken. always wanted to and i think the breda have the perfect face for it. just gotta figure out how to get rid of the leg feathers. that being said I am also going to have my pure bredas as well the cross breeding would just be a side project.

Howdy folks-

Like a few of you, we also got a handful of day-old Breda chicks in a shipment of Birchen Marans from Greenfire last spring. The crazy thing is that we didn't even order the Marans, they sent them to us by accident and we got to keep them. That was in late May. We had two blue and three black Breda. One of the blues got injured and died as a youngster, the three black ones turned out to be cockerels. We can't have any more roosters than absolutely necessary around here, and since we didn't have plans to keep breeding these, we packed them off to freezer camp. But we did keep the one blue hen and I'm glad we did, as I am actually very interested in small-bodied birds that lay decent sized eggs.

Since we don't have another Breda to breed her with she is in with our bantam Blue Salmon Faverolles rooster. I have put of few of the eggs into the incubator just for kicks and the first three are due to hatch next Tuesday. I am new to breeding chickens and have no idea what to expect from a cross like this. Any thoughts?
What luck mistake on your part. These cross breeds are pretty unpredictable. You could end up with a grey colored fuzzy headed, feathered leg medium size to small chicken. probably will have a small comb since neither breed has an upright comb.

Finally got my breda chicks from greenfire farms today! I ordered 3 blue and 3 black but they sent 7 chicks... i am pretty sure there is 1 blue and 6 black unless they look the same as chicks... but oh well. (there is one chick in the pics who is not a breda he is just in the brooder)

the blue one

blue one on left two black ones in front

Last edited:
Finally got my breda chicks from greenfire farms today! I ordered 3 blue and 3 black but they sent 7 chicks... i am pretty sure there is 1 blue and 6 black unless they look the same as chicks... but oh well. (there is one chick in the pics who is not a breda he is just in the brooder)
We hatched an unrelated pair of Blue Breda from GFF eggs last spring, and then hatch another dozen offspring before rehoming our pair. Yep...you got a lot of black. We noticed that some of the blue are a really light silvery color, and other are a lot darker like yours, but never as dark as the group you got on the right. Those are all black.

For contrast here is a light blue Breda chick.

Last edited:

I agree. It appears, you have one blue in those photos. Here is a photo of blue, black, and splash chicks.

Edit: My Breda chicks proved me wrong today! Three black chicks that hatched...are growing blue feathers.

Last edited:
Probably very cute chicks from a cross bred Breda but I haven't done it so I am not speaking from experience. Hybrid vigor for sure!

Well here is the one cross chick that has hatched. Parents are a blue Breda hen and Bantam Blue Salmon Faverolles rooster. Sorry the pics are not better, haven't quite figured out my camera. I wasn't expecting the chestnut head. It does have super-feathered feet and technically 5 toes, though the 4th and 5th are basically fused. I had thought the Breda had five toes, but I just went and looked at my hen and she only has four. This chick also seems to lack the big nostrils.

Hi Breda fans,
I am selling a lot of my Breda. I have them listed in other places as well but wanted to list them here before putting on the for sale area in case Breda owners want some. I live in North County San Diego. I have:

1 Black Breda rooster
4 Black Breda hens, laying daily
3 Blue Breda hens, laying daily
I would like to sell a set for $50, a trio 1 roo/2 hens for $75, and hens for $25 each.

1 Splash Rooster
3 Splash hens, laying daily
(I have a trio of these listed on another site to sell them, so I have to see if they're sold there first. If not, they are for sell on this site.) The extra splash can be sold separately.

1 dozen eggs ++, fertile, laid daily, plus I can put in some Crème Legbar eggs if you would like.
$30.00 per dozen with extras each time.

I also at the moment have 16 Breda chicks, 5 splash and the rest blue/blacks. I would sell them for $5 each. They are 4 days old today-would've sold them as day olds but we returned from a trip a week late so missed that date.

All of the chickens, chicks, eggs I have proper packaging for and will put food and heat/cold packs in as needed. The buyer pays shipping, but if you're in the area I can meet you for a pickup instead. They are good for hot climates as well as cold climates even though they are listed for colder generally.

Here's my email and phone in case you're interested.
Laura Kuhns
619-519-5082
[email protected]

Thanks,
Laura

Last edited:
Would love to have some of your bredas! Sent a pm about shipping... please ignore it... its been one of those days and words are getting jumbled around in my head. What would you charge for shipping all the chicks? (next day delivery please)

Back
Top Bottom