Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Thanks Gary Dean! Was looking on the ww.BKU.nl website and just found that color beautiful. Had hoped there was a simple way of creating mottled here in the US. They also have a pretty Barred color that I think doesn't exist here.

The only way I know to do this with what I have available to me (white, cuckoo, mottled Breda, etc. haven't been imported to the USA yet) is to out cross the Breda to another breed that has the barring gene or that has the molting gene. Then you have to breed back to pure Breda for multiple generation until you have 15/16th Breda blood and meet all the breed standards for the Breda. Most people frown on people out crossing a breed because they invariable underestimate how much work it is going to be to breed back to a standard and give up on the project after 2-3 generations. Then they sell off "Project" birds to others who assume that they are pure and so barn yard mixes start going out as a "Breed" and mixing with pure lines causing all types of problems with the quality and consistency of the breed. If you are patient and do things right however a new variety of good quality could be produced.

A breeder in Ohio was considering using a barred Polish to introduce the barring gene to her Breda. She was going to create a private flock for herself and not let it leave her farm. I was going to do something similar with another white egg barred breed (just don't have the space right now). If you can access a black molted Polish or other black molted white egg laying breed that is similar in size and shape to the Breda that would be were you would need to start with for the molted Breda project. I would keep good records of anything that you do.

Last edited:
Well, I am no master breeder (one person defined this loosely as 10+ years working with a breed), and those I know who are only outcross as a last resort, so... working with in a breed must be the easiest way to do things and out crossing must create a lot of headaches to do right. I still might work on a Barred Breda just for fun to learn the process that people go through to create a breed (and to have a unique chicken at the end of the process even if I couldn't pass it off as a Breda). :)

Last edited:
Well I guess I have to wait for somebody else to work on that project or import them, unless I find the money myself somewhere under a tree! Ha Ha

Back
Top Bottom