Breda Fowl thread

Pics
The Ancona is a beautiful chicken ! Would be nice combo, but probably hard to get rid of those combs I would think to make it look like a Breda.
Amottlrdor barred Brahma, might that work. Heavier but have small comb and featured feet?!? Just a thought...

Last edited:
yay, I have two pips!

I went out to check out my legbar roos. Neither really looks like they have crests, but they used to? I know they have the gene because any cross from those roos result in crested babies
this is a breda x cream legbar....see the little crest in the middle? I think it is really cool what happened to the comb, combless x single comb = buttercup?

Last edited:
Here's some pics of my blues and the big roo and splash are my newest editions!

Has anyone's seen mottling in their flock? One of my black hens (she had some white on her foot feathers) molted, and now is mottled in appearance? Anyone else seeing this, or know what it is?

Last edited:
Has anyone's seen mottling in their flock? One of my black hens (she had some white on her foot feathers) molted, and now is mottled in appearance? Anyone else seeing this, or know what it is?

Interesting that you would post this question - I was just about to post some photos of my own mottled hens! If anyone reading this thread have procured Breda from me, you may already have mottle in your bird(s).

The first hen that mottled as she matured worried me - I thought she may have something wrong and I'd have to cull her. So I didn't take photos when this first started. She began as a completely black bird - complete with the beetle green sheen. Then as she went through her first juvenile moult, she had a couple of white feathers in one foot, a couple on her back, and one on her chest. When she went through her first adult moult, suddenly there were a LOT of white feathers all over her. This is what she looked like at that time:

She now looks like this after her last molt:

She is NOT a splash - just to be certain, she has been bred with a completely black male - splash to black produces only blue - all of their chicks have been solid black, complete with beetle green sheen.

The second time this happened, in a pullet a year later, I took photos starting early on. This pullet was completely black prior to first juvie moult, after, she looked like this:

After her first adult moult, she looked like this:

She has just finished up a moult, and here is what she looks like today:

All chicks with her and a black male have been black.

Waiting to see if any of those show signs of mottling.
Both of these ladies will be set up with different males this spring to see if this can be perpetuated, including trying with a blue male.
I have so many Breda breeding pens now, what's a couple more?! :)

Doc

Interesting that you would post this question - I was just about to post some photos of my own mottled hens! If anyone reading this thread have procured Breda from me, you may already have mottle in your bird(s).

The first hen that mottled as she matured worried me - I thought she may have something wrong and I'd have to cull her. So I didn't take photos when this first started. She began as a completely black bird - complete with the beetle green sheen. Then as she went through her first juvenile moult, she had a couple of white feathers in one foot, a couple on her back, and one on her chest. When she went through her first adult moult, suddenly there were a LOT of white feathers all over her. This is what she looked like at that time:

She now looks like this after her last molt:

She is NOT a splash - just to be certain, she has been bred with a completely black male - splash to black produces only blue - all of their chicks have been solid black, complete with beetle green sheen.

The second time this happened, in a pullet a year later, I took photos starting early on. This pullet was completely black prior to first juvie moult, after, she looked like this:

After her first adult moult, she looked like this:

She has just finished up a moult, and here is what she looks like today:

All chicks with her and a black male have been black.

Waiting to see if any of those show signs of mottling.
Both of these ladies will be set up with different males this spring to see if this can be perpetuated, including trying with a blue male.
I have so many Breda breeding pens now, what's a couple more?! :)

Doc
Thanks for the response Doc! I was wondering if it was just a hidden recessive. (I did see someone else post a mottled bird somewhere along the line.) I used to breed mottled Cochins, and they where mottled before their first molt. So this is a little odd.

Your hen sure did turn white! Mine so far looks like your hens in the bottom. Does that hen have a duplex (V) comb? It looks like her comb sticks up in that photo. I have been busy culling duplex combs, not sure if I'm going to take this mottling to war or not. I actually kind of like the look.

Thanks for the response Doc! I was wondering if it was just a hidden recessive. (I did see someone else post a mottled bird somewhere along the line.) I used to breed mottled Cochins, and they where mottled before their first molt. So this is a little odd.

Your hen sure did turn white! Mine so far looks like your hens in the bottom. Does that hen have a duplex (V) comb? It looks like her comb sticks up in that photo. I have been busy culling duplex combs, not sure if I'm going to take this mottling to war or not. I actually kind of like the look.

Since there are mottled birds in their home country, I'm not surprised that it showed up. I'm anxious to find out what else is "lurking" in the genes of these beautiful birds! :) With 4 different lines to work with here, there could be a lot to find as the breeding continues.

Yes, she turned quite white. I have a roo that has done the same thing, he's my oldest bird, and started out as a flashy splash - still fathers splash with his splash ladies and blue with the blue ladies, but he's only got a couple of colored feathers left on his body. Really interesting to work with - and striking to look at!

No, no duplex comb on her, just the typical ridge that should be there. :)

Doc

Back
Top Bottom